Chapter 23

Brooks

"Did I mention how much I like Gen," Emma said next to me as I drove her home.

"Yes, for the hundredth time," I murmured exasperatedly. She spent the day with Gen and Mia at the mall, and ever since she got back. She kept talking my ear off about how much she loved Gen.

Don't get me wrong, I was glad that Emma and Gen were getting along, just as well as I hoped they would. But once Emma got started, she never stopped.

"Well, I do," her face took on a pensive look before she said. "She's nothing like I thought she would be."

I shot her an imploring look before turning my attention back to the road. "Really? What did you expect?"

She shrugged. "I thought she would be a bitch, that seems to be your type," she answered bluntly, prompting a startled laugh from me.

"How do you know what's my type? You've only ever seen me with Brielle and she wasn't a b-," I paused as Emma shot me a be-for-real look. I knew Emma never liked Brielle, but she's never been this vocal about it, until now.

"Okay, maybe Bri was a bitch most of the time," I amended. "But she had her good moments too." Brielle used to show me a different side of her, a sweeter, gentler side. That she never shared with anyone else. I think that's the main reason why I kept getting back together with her every time we broke up, which was often, even when I knew our relationship was toxic.

"I might've only seen you with Brielle, but I overheard Melody talking about her fling with you over the summer. Also, Alicia Jennings told me that her sister told her that the both of you hooked up at a party last year." She shuddered dramatically when she finished, her face twisting in disgust.

I grimaced, the last thing my little sister should be hearing about is the girls I fucked in the past. And what Melody and I had was hardly a fling. It was one night, but I wasn't going to correct Emma, this conversation was awkward enough.

Emma looked at me as she continued. "And what do all three of them have in common? They're all entitled brats, who think the world revolves around them. From the little time I've spent with Gen, I could tell she's the opposite of that. I can see why you like her so much."

She patted my shoulder, shooting me a stern look. "Just don't fuck it up."

"Do you ever shut up?" I murmured.

She rolled her eyes and playfully stuck out her tongue at me.

I chuckled, my eyes flickered to her face as my voice took on a sober tone. "I wouldn't fuck it up."

"Good," she said primly. "So are you bringing her to Dad's birthday party on the 9th?" She asked changing the subject, but she might as well have dropped a bucket of cold water all over me.

"Fuck," I cursed, my fingers tightening on the steering wheel.

"You forgot didn't you," Emma stated, rather than ask because it was pretty fucking clear that I forgot our father's birthday.

"Yeah, I just have a lot going on between football, classes, and mid-terms, it just slipped my mind." While all of that wasn't a lie, the truth was that since Gen and I got together. Besides football, she's held most of my focus, and I rarely thought about anything else.

"So are you bringing her?" she repeated with an expectant look.

"I don't know," I answered, and I didn't have to explain more because Emma nodded, as her eyes filled with understanding. She knew how fucked our family can be. And I'm hesitant about whether or not I wanted to drag Gen into that, so soon into our relationship. Emma and my dad were the only two people whose opinions of Gen mattered to me. Like Emma, I know my dad would like Gen once he met her.