𝟬𝟰𝟮. moon song

ღ chapter forty two( moon song )

chapter forty two
( moon song )

PAIN WAS ONE of those things that could not be quantified. Juliet Black was a girl whose every breath was filled with searing pain that bruised her black and blue from the inside. But she'd never felt pain before like the throbbing in her head the afternoon of the second task, which had since commenced and finished while she sat sobbing in the hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey unable to find something to soothe the pain.

That was when a knock sounded on the door, and Jules looked up through bleary vision to spot Uncle Remus. He waved at her, and handed something to Madam Pomfrey. "Cordelia sent this for her," he nodded, the smooth glass of the bottle reflecting green in the sunlight. "You remember the letter she wrote to you at the beginning of her second year?"

He walked over to Jules, following Madam Pomfrey, who handed her the vial and forced her to swallow the nasty tasting pain tonic. The relief was immediate. "What the hell was that stuff?" Jules sputtered, the bitter taste lingering in her mouth. Remus took a chocolate bar out of his pocket, snapped a piece, and handed it to her.

"Your mum says to tell you that she loves you," he said softly, taking an envelope out of his pocket. "She wanted to come see you, darling, but she's not been well lately —nothing to worry about, I promise."

Jules nodded, offering Remus some of the chocolate which he declined politely. "How is Padfoot?" she asked, glancing at Madam Pomfrey who was still standing there.

"Happy," he nodded. "Your mum is taking good care of him."

"Good," she said softly, as he handed her the rest of the chocolate bar. "Are you okay? You look tired."

Remus pulled the sleeves of his sweater over his fists, eyes weary and creased. He looked exhausted, his scars inflamed from the recent full moon, hazel eyes more green than brown like they always were when he didn't sleep enough. Jules appreciated Remus, who really cared for her, and she missed having him around Hogwarts. "I have to go," he said softly. "Technically, I was only allowed inside to drop this off. I'll see you again soon."

She nodded, watching him walk out of the room with a sense of longing. Jules always got homesick around this time of year, made worse by the fact she hadn't gone home for Christmas because of the Yule Ball. Jules and her mother had always been close, they weren't very far apart in age and they were each others best friends. The distance since she'd started Hogwarts made Jules nostalgic for the carefree days of her childhood, before she was tainted by anguish and rage.

"Jules!"

She found herself engulfed in vanilla scented curls as Hermione barreled through the doors of the hospital wing and enveloped Jules in a warm hug. "McGonagall just told us you were in here, the headaches and dizzy spells are worse aren't they-"