𝟬𝟬𝟵. in my arms

ღ chapter nine( in my arms )

chapter nine
( in my arms )

"MUM, YOU CAN stop checking the curtains every two minutes. He doesn't know where we live. And I still don't understand why exactly you pulled me out of school, Professor Dumbledore had the situation under control. Everyone else is fine, you even let Harry stay!" Juliet argued, fingers curled around a chipped turquoise mug filled with steaming hot chocolate. She had a blanket thrown over her lap, and was cozy in the sitting room near the front of their manor.

"You and Harry are not the same," Cordelia insisted, letting the fabric of the periwinkle curtains slip from her fingers as she slid down next to her daughter. She cradled her softly for a second, pressing her lips to the top of Juliet's hair. "I can't explain much now, but you'll be at home, with me, till I get an all clear from Dumbledore. I've also arranged to keep you for a few extra days, until he comes back, we can celebrate your birthday together, okay? I'll send you back on Friday."

A loud knock sounded on the doorway, causing Cordelia to jump, and reflexively draw her wand from her robes. She was still wearing her traveling cloak over her silk nightgown, having jumped straight out of bed to come get Juliet. That had been two hours ago, and it was closing in on midnight.

"A Mr. Remus Lupin is here to see you, Miss Cordelia!" the house-elf, Rora, called out.

Cordelia softened, but still didn't let her guard down, her heels clicking on the marble floors as she made her way to the door. Juliet followed, peering around the doorway as Cordelia opened the door. "Who's wedding was my daughter a flower-girl in?"

The customary question. Juliet knew her parents were in the now dismantled Order of the Phoenix during the wizarding war, and as a result, knew what exactly Cordelia was trying to do. She had no recollection of that particular wedding, besides a picture of her dressed in lavender, perched in her mother's arms.

Lupin smiled. "Stevie and Marlene's," he said, Cordelia letting out a sigh of relief and tossing her arms around him. "Dumbledore sent me over to say it was all clear."

"Come in, Remus," Cordelia invited, as he stepped inside. A thunder-clap startled Juliet, who flinched, before she grinned at Lupin, who offered her a smile.

"Jules, why don't you head on up to bed," Cordelia suggested. "It's late, put that out-"

Juliet rolled her eyes, slipping her lighter back into her pocket and taking a drag of her cigarette. She needed to replenish her stash before she went back to Hogwarts, she'd run out a few weeks back and had bought some off a sixth year Hufflepuff, who definitely charged her way too much. But even that stash was running low.