𝟬𝟬𝟰. hippogriff's flight

ღ chapter four( hippogriff's flight )

chapter four
( hippogriff's flight )

JULIET'S FIRST DAY of classes went off decently smooth. Divination in the morning had been an entertaining lesson, even if Professor Trelawney had predicted that Harry would die by the end of the year, a fact that Professor McGonagall quickly brushed off later in Transfiguration. She was intrigued by their lesson on animagi, but even if she couldn't help but snicker every time some of the Gryffindors in her year whined about something Trelawney had predicted, which resulted in her losing a point for Ravenclaw.

She snuck over to the Gryffindor table with Calliope for lunch, which was some type of stew. Ron spooned stew onto his plate and picked up his fork but didn't start, which was surprising considering he was always eating.

"Harry," he said, in a low, serious voice, "You haven't seen a great black dog anywhere, have you?"

"Yeah, I have," Harry replied. "I saw one the night I left the Dursleys'."

Ron let his fork fall with a clatter, as did Calliope. Juliet simply snickered, not one for superstitions.  "Probably a stray," Hermione reasoned, calmly.

Ron looked at Hermione as though she had gone mad. "Hermione, if Harry's seen a Grim, that's-that's bad," he stammered. "My uncle Bilius saw one and he died twenty-four hours later!"

"Coincidence," Hermione said airily, pouring herself some pumpkin juice, exchanged a smirk with Juliet. Ron losing his shit was always hilarious.

"You don't know what you're talking about!" Ron exclaimed, starting to get angry. "Grims scare the living daylights out of most wizards!"

"There you are, then," Hermione reasoned. "They see the Grim and die of fright. The Grim's not an omen, it's the cause of death! And Harry's still with us because he's not stupid enough to see one and think, right, well, I'd better kick the bucket then!"

Ron mouthed wordlessly at Hermione, who opened her bag, took out her new Arithmancy book, and propped it open against the juice jug. "I think Divination seems very woolly," she mumbled, as she searched for her page. "A lot of guesswork, if you ask me."

"There was nothing woolly about the Grim in that cup!" Ron yelped.

"You didn't seem quite so confident when you were telling Harry it was a sheep," Hermione replied, cool-headed as always.

"Professor Trelawney said you didn't have the right aura! You just don't like being bad at something for a change!"

He had touched a nerve. Hermione slammed her Arithmancy book down on the table so hard that bits of meat and carrot flew everywhere. "If being good at Divination means I have to pretend to see death omens in a lump of tea leaves, I'm not sure I'll be studying it much longer! That lesson was absolute rubbish compared with my Arithmancy class!"