o n e

"Love isn't a decision. It's a feeling. If we could decide who we loved, it would be much simpler, but much less magical."

-T.P.

                      ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

23 years later

ADALYN POV:-

I pulled up at the crub. Finally after driving for more than six hours I managed to reach my destination.

With my recent breakup with my long term boyfriend still on my mind I decided to take a break. There's only so much I can do in an environment where everything reminds me of him.
We were supposed to be forever couple.

I sighed trying hard to keep my tears at bay and not to think about him.

In front of me was my aunt's home where she lived with her family. Aunt, uncle and their two kids were my neighbors when I was a kid but then they moved for unknown reasons.
After all these years we're still in contact and close enough that when I told aunt Mary that I want a time out she didn't even hesitated to invite me her home.

I went upto the porch and just when I was about to ring the bell aunt Mary opened the door from inside.

As soon as she saw me she gave me a hug that I didn't knew I needed very much till now.

"Welcome home dear" she mumbled into my hair as she kept patting my back.

"Aunty I missed you" I choked.

You see my parents passed away when I just started my college leaving me alone in this world. I was totally alone at that time. Broken with no one to rely on.

At that time a boy I often saw at library initiated conversation with me. In the beginning I rejected him completely. I blocked him like I blocked everything else. But somehow after a while I started longing for our daily conversation. I didn't realized how much I became dependent on him till it was too late. We started dating after few months and I'm not gonna lie we were actually happy for sometime. That was until we graduated and he joined a law firm while I started working as an editor in a publishing house.

I didn't knew when things started falling apart but after few months of back and forth I received a call from him asking me to break up.

"What are you thinking ady?" Aunt Mary asked when she realized I was zoning out.

" Nothing aunt. Just thinking that mom and dad would also have loved to see you again." Tears filled my eyes by just thinking about it.

"Oh dear I'm sure they would have been proud of you no matter what. You became such a strong and beautiful woman." She wiped my tears that I didn't knew were leaking from the side of my eyes.

Then she lead me inside and the first thing I saw was a big paining of wolves howling to the moon. It was beautiful and strangely captivating.

The living room had a pair of lounges and loveseat facing towards the fireplace which was currently burning. It was giving the room a strange warmth associated with the feeling of home.

I took my seat nearest to the fireplace as it was nearly freezing. Aunt went out to the kitchen and after a few minutes she bought me a cup of hot cocoa which I was grateful for.

"Steve and the boys are out for a meeting with their hiking club but they'll be back soon. They were all so excited to meet our not so little now Ada." Aunt smiled while taking my hands into her and interlocking my five fingers with her.

"So how's it going baby girl?" Aunt asked concern lacing her voice.

"I've been well. Sort of. It's just way too much for me at the moment with being there I just...." I took a breath to calm myself down before continuing.

"I just need a break I guess. I'll go back after a week or two. There's so much work I need to do , canceling the wedding hall and calling the church and catering and I...I just can't at this moment." My voice felt heavy as breath became heavier.

"It's ok dear you don't have to say anything . I understand" she looked me with tender eyes making me feel like there's atleast one person I can rely on.

"Thanks aunty" I quickly took a sip of my hot cocoa.

We made small talk after which aunt went to the kitchen to make dinner while I sat in the warm living reading a book aunt gave me. Well I tried to atleast.

After I don't know how long front door opened and two tall figures came running in tackling me to the sofa.

" We missed so much ladybug" they said while still tightly holding me in their embrace.

"Andy and Andrew let the girl go this instance. She can't even breathe." A dominant voice commanded after which the twins immediately let me go although reluctantly. They sandwiched me between themselves as I rose up from the couch to give uncle steve a hug.

When I was little uncle steve always told me that I was the daughter they couldn't have so he specially treated me the best. I was soo glad to have someone who could love me the same way as my family did.

"How's my princess ? You're still growing bigger just look at you. I blinked and you grew up this big. Don't be so unfair to your poor uncle" he said while caressing my hair lovingly.

"Uncle I'm already 23. I've stopped growing for a while now." I giggled while listening to him.

"What are you talking. You couldn't even walk when I first saw you and I have to carry you everywhere now you can't even remember this old man." I felt my eyes heavy when I listened to uncle.

I felt so much better here. I could finally let go of the rock that was weighing my heart. For once I don't want to blame myself for what happened between him and me. After weeks of torment I could finally feel a smile unconsciously creeping up my face.

" Don't make the girl cry Steve" aunt Mary voiced as she called us all to have dinner. The twins dragged me down and made a seat between them and filled my plate with everything. I can't even eat that much.

"Eat ladybug. Its your favorite chicken dumplings and fried chicken. You always ate tons of them even when you were small." Andy said still adding more on my plate.

I couldn't even remember the last time when I even had the appetite to eat anything. Maybe coming here was a good decision.

The moon was especially bright tonight. Its silver light spilling over everything as if it was dyeing everything in its magical hue. As if whatever it touch is automatically turned magical. It was one of those nights.

Laughter rang out from the small two storey house and unbeknownst to them from away howling of wolves could be heard.

Maybe some heard the howling but ignored it but the girl hiding sadness in her smiled while someone from her left tried to feed her another chicken wing totally was obvious to everything.

_______________________________________

Please leave a comment and press that star. It would mean a lot to me. I'm always excited to hear what people think about my book.

Thank you. ILY. xx

_______________________________________