p r o l o u g e

"Nobody has ever measured, even poets, how much a heart can hold."

-Z.F.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

LENNOX POV:-

My teeth sank into the last rouge wolf that was left among the dozens that ambushed me while I was on my way into the woods of mysteries. I left it bleeding to death and moved forward.

My legs still felt stiff from not being used for a while otherwise these puny rouges would have died in seconds. It would take a while for me to get used to them again. I gauged the are trying to remember from my distant memories whether or not I'm going in the right direction.

After a few more hours of walking I reached my destination. Dark aura surrounded me and no other animal dared to approach me again. They have the basic instinct to know who's the predator here.

A mud and twig hut rest in the heart of the forest surrounded by wild trees and bushes everywhere. By the look of it , it seemed to be abandoned for a long time.

Trying not to get irritated anymore I walked towards it defusing any magical barrier with a flick of my fingers. As if anything can keep me out. Weaklings.

I pushed opened the door causing it to fall off its hinges and light poured inside the dark room. From the looks of it , it seems no one was here. I took a breath and smirked.

Walking towards a corner I put my finger and thumb together towards one spot as if pinching the air. As soon as I did a figure suddenly appeared where once was only mud wall.

It was coughing as if they've been choked by someone , breathe speeding up.

"I've been searching you everywhere Argus. Is this where you've been hiding after everything? You must be happy to see me?" I'm sure my eyes were shining now with dangerous glint by the way the rat was trembling.

" My K-k-king I-I-I was-s... I d-don't know wh-what you're-" I cut him off with a roar.

"I don't need your bullshit. Tell me what's happening?" I spoke through my clenched teeth barely controlling my anger.

Since he woke up to a ruined palace and barely standing walls he wasn't in the best of his moods. And from the history they all know his mood was anything but sunshine. You can say he always had anger issues.

Once he even fought alone with the sun emperor that time just because he was smiling way too much for his liking.

"K-king I don't k-know-" I roared baring my teeth at his answer. This is not what I want to hear rat.

"But I'll- I'll c-check. Pl-please take a seat." Argus tried desperately to smile while internally he was ready to cry for mommy.

I looked around and took a seat in a chair which broke as soon as I sat on it. My claws extended and in seconds the degenerate chair was cut into million pieces. My lips lifted a little at in satisfaction.

Argus tried hard not to be affected which was impossible while looking at the man who everyone feared enough to pee their pants. He really need mommy now. He quickly pulled out a round pink coloured ball wrapped in colourful packing and placed it in his mouth instantly calming down.

My eyes quickly caught the action narrowing my eyes suspiciously towards the small rat whose cheeks was bulged looking like a hamster.

"What's that? What did you eat just now?" I pulled his sleeve causing many same small sparkly things to fall down.

I quickly picked on removing the colourful wrap , observing the round pink ball.

Looking suspiciously at Argus as he tried to pick all the fallen sparkly things I put it in my mouth.

A sweet taste busted inside my mouth almost making me moan the the sweetness I've never tasted before. What kind of sorcery is this? Is it to mesmerize people out of their minds? Like a drug.

Even though my mind was telling me to spit it out my body was unable to.

"What is this rat? What is inside this? Is it magic? How can it be sweet? What are you feeding me?" I narrowed my eyes at the figure picking out the fallen sparkly things.

"Th-these are candies. I bought them. T-they help me ca-calm down." Argus picked every last of the candies and pocketed it.

"From where" I grunted irritated with how fast he filled his pockets.

"From a store" he looked at my quizzical expression before giving me a detailed answer," a store is where we give them money and they give us whatever we point at." Oh so whatever I point at they will give me. Guess nothing changed while I was frozen. I smirked.

While Argon performed some spells and talked to his magical globe I was nearly at my wits end. I can't wait anymore. What's wrong with him? He knows better than to waste my time.

"Tell me fast what caused me to woke up after you screwed everything." Patience was never my virtue.

He finally opened his eyes. His expression looked horrified.

"She's here. Sh-she has arrived." His whispered rang in my ears freezing me momentarily.

For once I felt I couldn't comprehend what he was saying. How can this be possible. How can she arrive now. After so long. How could she.

Then anger started clouding my mind thinking of all the years I've been waiting for her and she didn't showed up. How can she do this to me? No. I needed her. I needed her to break my curse.

"I think we should go. And probably change your attire my king. If she saw you like this I'm sure you'll be rejected at first glance." I growled just thinking about her rejecting me. She won't dare. She's mine. My teeth unconsciously extending. Argus instantly paled.

"King I'm not saying that she will be rejecting you but the chances will increase if she saw you in a blood soaked tunic and smelling like you've been in a sewage." I took a whiff off my arms flinching instantly as my heightened senses took in my body odour.

Clearing my throat I commanded with my chin raised high," I want to clean and change. Arrange everything."

Argus looked dumbfounded blinking his eyes at me as if he couldn't understand what I'm saying.

"Err I think we should- we should arrange some money first and maybe then your clothes of this era err but I-I am broke you see." Buckets if sweat was pouring down Argus face as if ready to get beaten into pulp.

What is money. I am the king. I never needed money. My head ached just thinking about everything that has changed in the while I was frozen.

"Ahem. Well D-Do you atleast know where is she?" I asked trying to appear calm while my beating heart rate told a different story.

Argus trembled at this point as if knowing his life was dependent on the next words coming out of his mouth.

"W-well th-the thing is I-I-I... Not now. So-soon m-my king."

Deep into the night in the middle of nowhere an earth shaking growl ripped through the night. Even animals knew to be afraid.