T w e n t y O n e

•ADALYN POV•

"So will you tell me now?"

Lennox sighed as if exhausted. Even though he promised he'll tell me where we were going but it's been more than three hours since we started our journey and apart from clenching his fist once in a while and talking to someone on his phone in a language I can't understand he has been unusually silent.

More than usual.

"Well?" I probed him again.

He took a long breathe, finally looking away from the front he darted a quick gaze towards me.

"You know I'm a wolf right?" I nodded my head and asked him to continue. Of course I know he's wolf.

"But I'm a wolf without wolf." Wait what? What's he saying? I tilted my head with a confused expression.

He suddenly pulled up the car  at the side of the highway.

"What does that mean?" I asked a little dazed and processing what he just said.

Even though I'm very new with all the Warewolf terminologies but I was sure it doesn't sound something good.

"Its a long story." He was still looking at me as if searching for some reaction but I wasn't even sure what am I to make of it.

"Oh trust me we have a lot of time." I pointed out to the long highway that was going on and on for miles.

"You know I was not a good person once." I nodded when he looked at me. I don't think his arrogant self could have been better even if he says so.

"So I was cursed and my wolf was taken away from me."  What?
What is he talking about?

"Your wolf?" I asked confused.

"My wolf was locked away deep into a place I'm still searching but all I know it's a maze and no matter what I couldn't find it. But after searching for years I found that a mate can break this curse." His eyes were shifting colours as he said that but I was still processing what he was talking about.

Curse?

"How?" My mind was still processing everything he said.

"That even I don't know. I've been searching about it for years before I even found you." His eyes were helpless. I don't even know what it means to live without a wolf but I think its similar to losing your best friend that you've been with since childhood. I can feel his lonliness and helplessness from his eyes. I've never seen him so sad and lonely. Maybe some glimpses once in a while but not like this.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and closed my eyes trying to convey my message that he's not alone. Not till I can help it.

"But where are we going?" How all this is connected to where we were going I wasn't still sure.

"You've been getting weird dreams. Am I right?" His eyes were very serious and his voice deep. I tried to recall what he was talking about then as if a bucket of cold water was being poured over me I remembered the nightmares I've been having since I was kidnapped by the witches.

Is it all related?

"Yes. How is it all connected?"

"I don't know for sure but I think the witches did something due to which you started being connected to my wolf in your unconscious state and he's calling for you." Okay that's easy enough to understand.

"So ain't it good? I can find where is he." I was excited and happy to be able to help him in anyway and now that I knew my nightmares were connected to him and that I can be useful to him made me very excited that I overlooked his grim expression.

"Adalyn." I can see his tensed posture and defensive eyes as he said my name.

"You can't." What he's talking about.

"What?"  Is it my illusion or he suddenly looks very sad as if he wants to desperately change a situation but he's helpless but at the same time very determined.

"I'm taking you somewhere so that we can break the connection between you and my wolf."

"What? WHY?" I was bewildered why he would want to do that. Isn't this his chance to know where his wolf that he's been searching for years upon years is? I mean that would be totally crazy if he is even thinking about losing this single chance.

"Because it's dangerous for you." His huge palms covered my jaws as he leaned closer to me his eyes filled with determination. Eyes hard and stone cold.

"How can it be?" Why can't he clear up everything at once. He's turning round and round with his sentences.

"That place. The place where my wolf locked up is dangerous. It may very well happen that once you got there you won't be able to return. They want to do the same thing they did to me. And I'll make sure it won't be happening under my watch."

"Who?"

"The witches." Oh. That explains something. But if we have even a tiny chance that we can find where his wolf is then its worth the risk.

"We should give it a try. We can find your wolf. Think about it. You've been looking for this moment for centuries. Now when its so close to you how can you give it up."

"No." He firmly grasped my shoulders shaking me a bit in the process.

"Yes. If it is dangerous I won't ask you to try it again but just try it once. Please." At this point I don't even know what I'm asking for or if I can even do it but I only know that this is something important to him. I saw it myself.

"Adalyn please. You're my mate. I just can't." He sighed helplessly.

Pulling him lightly towards me I hugged him tightly while his arms wrapped around me , palms stroking my hair.

"We can give it a try." I whispered.

"You don't even know what you're getting into silly woman." Lennox voice was muffled as his face was pressed against my shoulders.

"I know that but I have you." I can feel him freeze for a moment then his hold tightened even further.

"Always."

_______________________________________

How are you liking this story this far? Please vote and comment as it encourages me more and I kinda need that in the moment. Thank you everyone who are reading this.

And guys we're nearly at 2k reads. I'm soo happy. ❤️

Typos will be edited once the story is completed so please overlook it for the time being.