chapter 1 - drifted

Tessa's POV:

"Yeah no, no it's OHIO Carla! Fucking Ohio we're going for the weekend. Not Florida. Florida is the week after that! Are you getting me?!" Hardin shouts on the phone, as usual cussing at his assistant.

"What do you mean sorry? I need those tickets tonight! It's Thursday and we leave the first thing Saturday? Do you understand or should I make you understand like last time?!" he throws his hand in the air and I secretly wish well for that poor Carla on the other side of the phone.

"I don't- I don't care about your fucking boyfriend's broken leg! Carla, I think we need to talk in person tomorrow. I'll see you then" he says in a deadly calm voice before hanging up and attending another call.

So this is how life has been. Hardin stressing over is work and completely neglecting his wife, waiting for him at the dinner table. It's not like I'm not busy. I have shit tons of work too, I manage the New York branch of Vance publishing but I always prioritize Hardin. He forgets to do that and for the last year, I've been going to bed alone and disappointed with him.

Only a few weeks, I can count, he has actually spent time with me over the past whole year. 3 years of marriage and this is how we live now. Every time I think about talking to him, something else pops up and I end up going in whole other direction.

Half of the days he isn't even here, he is at book signings or book tours and even when he takes me with him, I have to spend the vacation with his assistant because he obviously is occupied.

I finish my dinner and cover his plate with another before heading towards the kitchen.

My eyes fall on one of the pictures we had framed. We took it on our trip to London, just the two of us. We were so happy, a newly married couple, enjoying their company, unlike now. I trace my finger on his dimpled smile in the frame, which I haven't seen in a long time. I only witness his frowned and wrinkled forehead, a smile is long time no seen.

Shaking the thoughts out of my head, I walk into the room and get ready to go to bed. I shut the door to get away from his shouting on the phone.

While undressing myself, it hits me that I haven't been undressed by him in weeks. The last time we slept together was a month ago, that too a quick one because he had early morning flight the next day.

After setting an alarm and making a to-do list for tomorrow, I hit the bed.

***

I was deep asleep and maybe in between of a dream when I am abruptly awoken by Hardin's touch on my shoulder.

"What- What happened?" I look at him in worry and he strokes my arm to calm me down.

"Nothing, I was just- watching you sleep. Didn't mean to wake you up" he whispers and I sigh in relief.

I turn back, unaware of what to say to him.

"Did you eat?" I ask in a whisper and he rests his head on my shoulder, wrapping his arm around me tight.

"Yes. It was delicious" he kisses my shoulder thrice, before shifting his mouth to my neck.

"Leave me Hardin- just go to sleep" I remove his hand from my body and he sighs.

"Look Tessa I know I haven't been able to spend time with you- I'm sorry" he says and unwelcomed tears soak my cheek.

"Hey" he turns me around and puts his warm hand on my face, gently wiping the tears from his thumb. "I'm really sorry"

"It's not okay. I- I miss you" my voice betrays me and comes out weaker than I intended.

"I miss you so much more Tessa. Trust me. But I haven't gotten time to breathe. It's just a stressful time for me"

"I understand but" I close my eyes and he pulls me in his chest.

"I'll try, I promise" he kisses my head and I put my arm around him, falling asleep in his arms after, what it feels like, a decade.

*next morning*

"Good morning, Mrs. Scott" I wake up to a smiling Hardin, who's showering my neck with kisses. Am I dreaming? "You're so beautiful" He tucks my hair behind my ear.

"Morning, Mr. Scott" I gently kiss his tender lips and his smile grows. "Might I know the reason behind your great mood?" I ask and he bites his lips together.

"Today I took a day off. No calls, no Carla, only Tessa" he says with pride and my heart lights up.

"Really?" I sit up straight.

"Really" he smiles, taking my hand in his.

"Thank you" I say, adoring the way he looks right now.. shirtless and his prince hair messy.

"I have the perfect day planned for you" he kisses the back of my hand.

***

Without HerOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara