chapter 23 - perfect day

Tessa's POV:

Surprisingly I slept soundly through the whole night, no cough or breathlessness troubling my sleep. Maybe because I slept cuddling with Hardin after weeks.

He was so tired last night, so was I, so we both didn't talk much and just slept in each other's arms.

I turn to his side, he is still sleeping peacefully. No tension or stress on his face unlike last night.

I gently stroke his cheek then push the fallen strands of hair aside from his forehead. He flutters his eyes and his hand makes its way around my waist, pulling me closer like we slept last night.

"Happy birthday old man" I place a swift kiss on his cheek and he takes a deep breath before opening his gorgeous eyes.

"Thank you" he gives me a slight smile before kissing my cheek back. "Call me that one more time and you will have to face the consequences" he chuckles.

"It's not everyday one turns 30" I wrap my hand around his body tightly, taking in the comfort of his warm body.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me" he scoffs in disbelief as he brings his hand to cup one of my breasts in his hand. "They've grown like twice the size they were when I left" he looks at me in amazement, his hand not leaving my chest.

"Yeah" my cheeks flush in embarrassment and I remove his hand from me.

"Now this is a real birthday gift!" he adores them one more time and I hit his hand as we both break into laughter.

His laugh is contagious right now and my heart warms up seeing him happy and cheery because I wouldn't want anything else.

"How are you feeling?" he asks in a whisper, stroking my ear with his slight thumb.

"Better" I lie and he nods.

"No you're not. I can see it in your eyes" he catches it and I let out a sigh in defeat.

"I'm fine, today is about you" I ding the tip of his nose.

"I don't do birthdays anyways Tessa. Plus you have to take care of three now" he surprises me by saying that with a straight face. "You have to think about them before anyone" he places his hand on my stomach and I manage to stifle my laugh inside.

"I love you so much" I bring my face next to his so our cheeks collide and he hugs me back rather tight.

"I love you" he chuckles in my hair, rubbing his hand up and down my back.

I hate that I fell sick on the time of his birthday, I really wanted to make it special. For me, every occasion, every birthday, every celebration is special because I don't know which one could be my last.

I cannot force myself to thinking into that I'm fine too because I cannot risk it now. If I'm sick, I have to take care of myself. Little carelessness will ruin everything for us.

"What do you wanna do today?" I ask him while he checks his phone.

"Nothing Tess"

"Shut up, we cannot do nothing on your birthday" I swat his forearm and he shakes his head. I don't know how or why this guy is so plain when it comes to celebrations.

"I do have one idea though" he turns around to face me with his twinkling eyes.

"Tell me" I ask intriguingly.

"You said they scheduled a sonogram tomorrow right? How about we do it today? We can also get you checked up because your fever doesn't seem to go away" he puts his palm on my forehead.