chapter 3 - tired

Hardin's POV:

I walk into the building and find some people in suit and bags, sitting in the waiting area. I give them a quick smile and enter my office.

"Denise" I hiss and she snaps her head at me.

"Finally" she puts out her cigarette on the ashtray kept on my desk.

"I swear to god if this isn't urgent-" I warn and she holds up her hand to silence me.

"It is urgent. The company we've been trying to get ahold of finally agreed to collaborate. Your book goes for editing tonight right? We've got to add their name before that final editing or else we'll lose a big deal Hardin. This is big money, like very big money" she whispers the last line, stressing out the importance of the deal.

"So what now?" I ask, pushing my hair behind.

"The clients are sitting outside. They demanded an urgent meeting with the author but my author was busy pampering his wife" she says and I roll my eyes.

"Do me a favor and keep Tessa out of this" I say and she scoffs.

It is actually a pretty big deal, a big company wants it's name to be used in my upcoming book and collaborate with us.

"Carla, a double espresso is needed right now" I tell her and she quickly nods before heading out to bring me the coffee.

"Let's get it over with" I sit back on my chair and gulp down a bottle of water, mentally preparing myself not to snap at any of them if they turn out to be dumb.

The meeting takes longer than any of us had expected. The people had so many demands and doubts and questions, I had to answer all of them, that too patiently. I mean I don't blame them, if they are investing so much money in my work, they deserve to ask all they want but the timing couldn't have been worse.

My eyes kept finding their way to the clock and each time I glanced at it, Tessa's disappointed face appeared in front of me.

They finally leave and I let out a sigh, I've been holding for so long. Denise  hands me the contract and asks me to go through it and sign it before leaving tomorrow.

"I'll go through it at home. I need to leave now" I close the file and she nods, raising both her hands in the air in defense.

I look at my phone screen, it's been over 3 hours. Fucking hell. There is no way she might be at the cinema now, so I head home.

I slowly unlock the main door and get inside, keeping the files on the coffee table.

"Tessa" I call for her but no answer. I debate myself while removing the boots and go through the plan again before walking inside our room.

She's sitting on her side of the bed, with her headphones on and her laptop in front of her. She's wearing her sweats and a plain black t-shirt, her make up is removed and her hair is tied into a bun.

I take a long breath and sit down on the edge of the bed.

"No no it's alright. That won't be a problem. I volunteer to come along" she says and I realize that her office call is going on.

"Okay Mr. Vance, take care" she ends the call and shuts her laptop down. She removes her headphones and walks outside, towards the laundry room.

I don't know what to do. I haven't seen her this upset in so long, but again, I haven't even seen her in so long.

"Tessa listen to me" I walk behind her and she continues doing the laundry and ignoring me. "Hey" I put my hand on her shoulder and she turns around, glaring at me and her angry eyes watching right into my soul.