chapter 21 - high risk

*2 days later*

Hardin's POV:

Today is our first doctor's appointment. Due to it being new years, we couldn't go earlier. Today we get to know the condition of this situation and how we have to handle everything, keeping in mind Tessa's disease.

It's 8:30 in the morning, our appointment is at 9. I couldn't sleep last night, thinking about what's going to happen today, so I have showered before Tessa today. She is getting ready, preparing for everything. She's asked to bring her medical history, her pills, her records and everything, so she's just gathering them all neatly in a folder while I eat the breakfast I made for both of us.

Her morning sickness did start, from today itself. She ran into the bathroom the first thing in the morning when she woke up. The vomiting and nausea is just making her weaker than she already is.

"Are we ready to leave?" she asks coming out of the bedroom, she has a loose off-white shirt type top and black jeans, the documents folder in her hands.

"Your breakfast?" I ask removing the lid from her plate and she shakes her head.

"I don't feel like it" she clicks her tongue and starts walking towards the door, slipping her white sneakers on. "Let's go, are you done?" she asks and I nod, getting up from the table.

***

I could feel the tension between us in the car, both of us are probably shitting in our pants but hold a straight expression for each other.

I take her hand in mine when we walk towards the hospital and she gives me a small smile, as if thanking me to be here.

We are taken inside after only a few minutes wait luckily. Tessa's usual doctor greets us as we take a seat in front of him.

"Happy new year you two" he smiles at us and we return it, Tessa wishes him back too. "So what brings you here?" he asks, resting his hands on the desk.

Tessa tells him about the pregnancy and I notice his expressions changing, not in a good way. He looks surprised, and worried.

"Oh" he clears his throat. "Mrs. Scott, you do know that your life span-"

"Yes" she cuts him off abruptly and he nods.

"And this- this is not my place to tell you this but it's a high risk pregnancy. In your case, a very high risk. You'll have to be ready for absolutely anything. Miscarriage, still birth, anything" his straight forwardness has let us both in a very difficult situation. I can tell from Tessa's face that she's terrified by this point and does not want to listen ahead.

"I know a very good gynecologist, a friend of mine, you should go to her. I'm sure she'll help you best she can" he breaks the tensed silence and begins dialing someone's number.

She's from this hospital only thankfully. We get outside her office, a few patients waiting before us. I spot 2 pregnant women with their huge stomachs, and assuming their other halves beside them. I can't help but be jealous that these people are going to have a normal family, a normal pregnancy without any complications. Everyone gets to be happy but us.

"Are you okay?" Tessa whispers, bringing her hand on my thigh.

"Yes, why?" I ask looking at her.

"Your eyes didn't leave that woman for a second, she even caught you staring" she whispers again, trying to hold back her laugh, and I look back at the pregnant woman I didn't realize I was staring at, her husband glaring at me.