chapter 32 - dramatic, isn't it?

Hardin's POV:

"Well don't you look stunning" she had entered from the room to our living room, and my compliment didn't seem to have to get her in a better mood. 

I hated that we had gotten into a stupid fight the previous night about having kids, and I took the topic lightly when she was being all serious. She hadn't talked to me after I had shut her off, already being in the stress of work and coming home to her talking about kids was something that added to my frustration. 

I always hated the silent treatment she gave me after our arguments and today too she hasn't spoken a word to me, except for plainly reminding me that we had to go to meet Kimberly's new baby today. 

"We should go" she sighed and didn't make eye contact with me. 

I thought her anger would have settled by morning but apparently, it didn't. But there's no way I'm apologizing this time, she knew how I felt about kids but still dared to talk to me about it. 

"Can you grab the gift? It's quite heavy" she indicated towards the wrapped present kept in the corner of the dining room. 

Only then it clicked to me that she had requested me the other day to pick up the gift on the way back home and that she had already paid for it and I just had to get it home.

"I thought I was supposed to get this home?" I dared to ask and she didn't look back at me as she continued buckling her heels.

"Did you?" she responded coldly. "I got it myself this morning, or else we would have been forced to go empty-handed there" she muttered and walked out the main door, leaving it open for me.

I had let out a deep sigh and walked towards the gift-- which was actually fucking heavy. What could a newborn possibly need this heavy?

All the way back to Vance's new york house, she hadn't spoken a word to me, not even looked at me. I couldn't handle her silence anymore and I knew she was the only thing that would keep me sane in the whole 'new baby' environment there, but I also knew she was going to get busy with Kimberly and her new daughter and they would give her yet another perfectly valid reason to ignore me.

"I'm sorry, okay? Just talk to me" I had given up on my ego and apologized to her as I pulled over in the basement.

She had taken a deep breath and fixed her hair in the mirror, before unlocking her door and attempting to get out. I reached out for her hand, grasping her wrist and she jerked me off instantly-- letting me know how much upset she actually was.

I had no option but to silently follow her footsteps, holding the heavy present in my arms like I'm her butler or something. 

"Hi!" as soon as the door was opened by the woman of the house itself, Tessa threw her arms around her best friend and they both exchanged hugs and kisses and all-- leaving me to stand awkwardly outside with my hands going almost sore now. 

"Come on in!" Kimberly smiled at both of us, no one could tell that this energetic woman gave birth just a week ago.

Her house, for the first time, was a mess-- for which she blamed her new daughter. My eyes searched for the only sane person here-- Smith-- but my bubble was broken when Kim informed me that he flew back to their Seattle house. 

"Where is she?" Tessa had asked her friend, an immediate tone of excitement clung to her voice. 

"She just fell asleep, we can go inside though, she won't be disturbed," Kimberly said and Tessa didn't look at me before answering.