chapter 35 - at the edge

Hardin's POV:

"Everything looks stable for now, I'll come visit after the vital test results today and analyse the condition more" the doctor informs, clutching onto the clipboard in her hands as she beams a small smile at us. "And oh, you two need to keep it down at nights. This is a hospital, not a hotel alright? We've got multiple complaints about the noises"

I catch on Tessa's face going a shade of red in embarrassment, but a small smirk smeared on her lips as the doctor calls us out on our activities. Who can blame us? It's a boring hospital and we're not used to going weeks without having sex. Plus her hormones don't help us keep it down.

"We do apologize, doctor" I chime in, not meaning it, and a scoff escapes her mouth.

"She's my patient, Mr. Scott. And I would appreciate it if you both behave like mature adults who are going to have a baby in two weeks, yeah?"

"Yes, ofcourse"

"Okay I'll be back in a few hours, alright? Take care" she gives us one last smile before heading out of the room.

"Elliot, can I talk to you?" I quickly join her out in the hallway and close the door behind us, putting on my best convincing face on.

"Yes but make it quick. And no, I'm not giving out noise-cancelling headphones to the other patients for you to continue having sex" she shakes her head, reminding me of the suggestion I gave her earlier but got abruptly brushed off by both Tessa and her.

"It's not that. I wanted to inform you that I'm taking her on a date tonight"

"Hardin... we've been through this. She's an in-patient now. She can't leave the hospital-"

"I know, I know that. Today is also her vital check up session right? So I was thinking of bringing a change of environment to her room, you know what I mean? Bring in some of her favourite food, get her dressed up and all... if you're fine with that" The fuck not. I'm going to do it either ways.

"That's very thoughtful of you. Okay you could arrange that. But only if you agree to clean it up yourself"

I respond to her with a small shrug and she turns on her heels.

We've been her for weeks now and all we've been busy in is check ups, tests, results, saline, check lists, and what not. We're both exhausted, the only difference is she gets to show it and I don't. If I let my guard down too, her morale will sink and that's the last thing I want, especially now that she's carrying our baby along with surviving her sickness.

Even though she insists that I leave for work and do my normal things outside, I prefer to stay here with her most of the time and work from here. Because at such times we both need each other's company the most.

Nora and Landon keep visiting too, bringing her homemade food and all, and it keeps her busy and distracted from the pain she's going through.

We don't admit it to each other, or say it out loud, but her condition has only been regressive, which is a thing to worry about but we're also trying everything we can. Now she is finding it difficult to breathe without the oxygen support, which was originally supposed to be an optional thing. She doesn't even hold the energy to take a walk around with me now like we have been for a long time now. She sleeps most of the time, and I don't blame her for being tired all the time due to all the medications along with being pregnant.

But what has started worrying me now is that she doesn't even realise when she falls asleep talking to me mid conversation, or even after she has just woken up from a long nap.