chapter 31 - misfortune

Tessa's POV:

"Come on, Tess!" Hardin whines like a child as he buries his face in between my thighs, his exasperated sigh hot against my skin, and I roll my eyes behind.

"Hardin, what has gotten into you?" I push his head away from me and he sits up beside me, with a disappointed pout occurring on his face.

We spent the whole day shopping and strolling around the city, exploring everything we could in the span of a day and I cannot be more exhausted right now. I was the one who dumbly insisted on walking around instead of taking cabs or anything, and I regret it more than anything- the soreness in my legs doesn't fail to remind me that.

"You promised though!" he flings his hands down and looks at me with yearning as he leans over towards me.

"What do you mean I promised? I don't recollect making you a promise that I'll have sex with you every damn day" I lay down from my sitting position and turn to the other side so that now my back faces him.

"That's an unspoken vow you took when you decided to marry me" he brings his chin on the blade of my shoulder, and lets out a chuckle, obviously thinking I'm being sarcastic or something.

"I'm beyond exhausted, for the love of God let me sleep. Plus I'm not in the mood, with your whining and all-- don't even think about it" I shut my eyes and pull the duvet above my body, relaxing my shoulders in an attempt to drift off to sleep.

"I'm not whining!" he defends in a complaining voice and I sigh to myself, regretting committing to an adrenalized man who craves sexual things all day even after being in his 30's.

"Hardin-" I give him one last warning before I lose my patience and kick him out of the room.

"This is not fair, we're on vacation! We didn't do anything last night too-"

"I'm not the one who got drunk and slept last night. I was up for it but you apparently, weren't. So keep thinking about what you've done and please let me sleep" I whisper, unable to find the strength of even speaking.

After a minute of silence when I finally think he has given up, I feel his kisses linger on my shoulder, making his way up my neck in an attempt to ravish me. But little does he know that this is only provoking me more than I already am.

I turn over to his side and notice a hint of a smile on his face, which tells me he assumes he has succeeded in convincing me with his pecking.

"Nora and Landon are just next door Hardin, we cannot do this right now. When we get home-"

He cuts me off abruptly with a huff, "Tess the four of us are mature adults"

Right. He is clearly showing off his maturity right now-- begging me for affection.

I ignore his plea once again and turn over, shutting my eyes and silently praying he would stop trying now. I really am tired, exhausted actually, or else I would have never refused him, I never do.

I hear him mumble something under his breath and the heavy fall on his side of the bed tells me that the whining child finally gave up, and now I can rest.

***

"wake up wake up wake up wake up wake up " a hushed voice rings through my ear and I frantically open my eyes, only to find Hardin's face, not more than 2 inches from mine-- which causes me to flinch back.

"What?!" my sleep-laced voice cracks and I try to sound as angry as I am to be woken up this abruptly.

"Feel her?" he whispers and I realize his large hand is holding my stomach-- which he has slid inside my shirt. It takes me a millisecond to process what he's saying-- but when I do, I instantly draw my attention down.