chapter 29 - s̶k̶i̶n̶n̶y̶ d̶i̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶

Hardin's POV:

"We're here!" Tessa squeezes my forearm once again. First she did it while landing, out of fear, and now out of excitement when we've landed.

I am actually thrilled about this vacation, more than I am showing it. Tessa already has a glow on her face and a change in her usual low mood. Just watching her happy is making me happy, but that's just one of the perks. Both of us haven't been able to go out or have a change in my routine because of the work and running back and forth to the hospital. I am so looking forward to these 4 days we're here.

Tessa wears her N95 face mask, which has become one of the things compulsory for her to use since we cannot afford any germs entering her weak and disease prone lungs. She says she won't need her oxygen cylinder for sometime now and I believe her because as much as I want her to be comfortable and able to breathe properly, seeing that wire attached to her nose is somewhat bothering.

We get out of the plane to collect our luggage and as if the universe is trying to play jokes on me, we find Andrew's family standing beside us. Tessa is busy talking to Nora about something so she hasn't noticed yet, I hope she doesn't.

"Excuse me, hi" Andrew's mum walks over to us and turns to Tessa. What does she has to say to her now?

"Hi" Tessa replies politely with a smile and all of us wait for her to speak.

"Your name is Tessa right? And you're Hardin I suppose?" she asks quietly, not to disturb her son who is asleep by god's grace.

"Yes.." Tessa chuckles both in awkwardness and surprise how she knows our names.

"Andrew won't stop talking about you both" she laughs and Tessa looks at me, her face lit up.

"Really?" I ask in a sarcastic tone but thankfully they don't catch it.

"Yes. He doesn't usually interact with people much but you guys really did a number on him" she says and I don't know if I'm supposed to feel good or bad about it.

"He's a real sweet baby" Tessa says and I dismiss myself from there to help Landon and Nora get our bags.

"Who is that?" Landon asks me referring to them.

"I have no idea. That woman's kid developed some sort of attachment with Tessa. He spent half of the journey with us" I tell them and Nora laughs, obviously knowing how that thing bugged me.

"I've read somewhere that children do love pregnant woman" he says and I nod at his utter useless comment.

"Tessa would even take him home if she could" I scoff, absolutely not kidding because I know Tessa and more than that, I know pregnant Tessa.

"Oh shut it, they're so cute together" Nora says in awe and I look over my shoulder to see Tessa adoring him again.

The way her eyes twinkle when it comes to babies or kids, and her hands rubbing her little bump as she continues talking. It was like she's meant to be a fucking great mother but the odds are just not in our favor.

"All bags are here, I'll go get her" I announce and turn on my heels.

"You'll be a great mom" I hear the woman say to Tessa and she smiles at her, but I know it's killing her inside that she might not be able to spend much time with her baby.

"Thank you" the tone of her voice is exactly what I didn't want in this trip.

I hold her shoulder from behind and she looks up at me, her eyes talking to me without a word from her mouth.