chapter 18 - surprises

Hardin's POV:

We celebrated Tessa's birthday yesterday. We don't really do birthdays but this time I tried to make it a little special for her and since we're at this trip, it already is special. We spent the day in bed. I cooked for her, well I tried to, she says she loved it but I'm not sure about it. We watched reruns of her favorite movies and shows, and somehow I got a birthday cake around here, by which she was very happy. We then went for a car ride after sunset, she shopped a little for family and friends while I took some candid pictures of her in my camera.

The best part was the sex. It used to bug me that even after being married, we don't get to spend every night together the way we want. With work, her sickness and everything, we have surprisingly reduces our pleasure activities. But this trip- we haven't been this sexually active in so fucking long and it feels so great to be back like this with her.

Anyone can tell that we're enjoying ourselves more than we'd think by the glow on our faces. We've been here for 4 days now and gone out not more than 5 times to explore the city. The rest of the time we're inside our warm villa, either fucking or cuddling and enjoying the view with loads of food.

Tomorrow we'll be travelling back home, which I hate because once I enter that city, I'll have this mental pressure of my work and we'll eventually get back to our work lives. But I've decided to take such trips more often because it's refreshing for both Tessa and I to step out of our routine, just the two of us together every second for a few days. Surprisingly we got through this trip without any argument or fight.

*11 days later- New Year's Eve*

I had a long and frustrating day at work yesterday, I even came back home late because I wanted to get over with the work before New Year's. And when I got home last night, Tessa reminded me that we have to attend the brunch Landon and Nora have invited us to.

It's 9 in the morning right now and we're on our way to Manhattan because of course my wife wanted to reach there early and help Nora with everything. I don't even have the energy to argue with her beautiful face.

She's wearing a white off shoulder top that completely reveals her neck and shoulders, with bootcut jeans and accessories which include the bracelet I gifted her on her birthday. Her beautiful hair flowing back as she has her windows rolled down. She's staring out the window, her hand supporting her face at the window. I'd never have such energy to dress up this early in the morning, so I just have a nice t-shirt I wouldn't wear daily and normal jeans on.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask and she startles from her thoughts.

"Uh- nothing" she clears her throat and gives me a quick smile before getting back to the window. Weird.

She joins Nora immediately after we reach there, they both technically run inside the kitchen after Nora hugs me and small talks. Not having a choice, I join Landon in their lounge outside. He's like a typical uncle, hanging out wearing shorts and t-shirt in the gardens lounge on a holiday whilst his wife cooks for him.

"So how's that book tour coming?" he asks, handing me a cup of coffee and taking a place in the chair beside me.

"Good" I nod and he hums something, inhaling the fresh cold air.

Ever since we found out about Tessa's disease, I have not taken even one work trip or stepped out of city without her. I have suffered some loss of contracts because of my stubbornness of not leaving for tours, but nothing is more important than her.

But this time it is mandatory for me to go on that book tour Denise has organized. She promised she would keep it short and I'll be back home within a matter of weeks but my heart just isn't agreeing with the plan of leaving her here alone.