Chapter 18: Results

It was finally time for our short time on the uninhabited island to come to an end. Although our classmates questioned us for being gone and Horikita's sudden retirement, we dodged suspicion with the help of Hirata. Still, there isn't any sign of Mashima-sensei or the others, even when the test ended around noon.

"We're now tallying up the test results. Please wait a moment. Feel free to use the rest of the area if you would like."

After that announcement, the students gathered together and headed toward the rest area. Underneath the provisional tents, they'd prepare tables and chairs so we could get comfortable. There were no signs of Horikita or any of the retired students waiting on the cruise ship. Kiyotaka, along with Kōenji and Sudō, are seated in the chairs they prepared.

"I'm dying to know what the results are."

I shaked the paper cup in my hands, then drank it in one gulp. I gazed up at the sky with a bored expression, contrary to my words.

"Uh, it's uncomfortable with Kōenji here." Sudō scratched the back of his head.

"Consider yourself blessed to be in the same space as me, despite being such a ugly existence." Kōenji haughtily boasted about himself once again.

"Tch, that's exactly what I'm talking about!" He crushed the paper cup in frustration.

"Anyways, why are we here?" Kiyotaka questioned.

"You know how it is. Someone will trigger a cliche event. Trust me, I should know."

"In all seriousness, I presume a certain individual or individuals will try to make contact with each of us in this group. Limiting their movement should suffice for the time being."

"Wouldn't it be more suspicious this way?" Sudō asked.

"Not exactly. The benefits outweigh the risks."

The chances of them noticing that they got caught is low. So this'll appear as a 'meeting' and that'll give them the false impression that I slipped up and revealed the people involved. Which will make me seem less intelligent in their eyes. By slightly noticing my intentions, the person at hand must be hiding their talents since a random Class D student isn't capable enough.

Their next step will be to approach them one by one. Not knowing they won't get the answers they seek. Kiyotaka will either avoid the question altogether, give vague responses, or spread misinformation. Kōenji won't be bothered to take them seriously. Though Sudō's temper makes him the easiest to target, he can't tell what he doesn't know. Maybe they won't be subtle about it and just confront me.

To sell the narrative, I arrange this act according to the script I made up. The past incidents serve as a way to confirm his behavior.

"That's common sense, how can you not understand simple things, red hair-kun?"

"That's it!" Sudō slammed his hands onto the table.

He approached Kōenji before being quickly stopped by Kiyotaka and I. Making it seem like his outbursts were a common occurrence.

"Calm down, you know how bad his personality is." Kiyotaka said.

"We'll be leaving, see you around." I waved goodbye.

"Now what?" Sudō quietly uttered.

He hadn't caused me trouble. Rather, he'd acted just how I wanted him to. However his anger was authentic, the difference was that he can control it somewhat better.

"It should be anytime soon."

"Great work. Thank you for everything you did this week. You saved us." Hirata appeared with words of gratitude.