Chatper 20

As soon as the spring came into view, I slipped off of Whisper and went into a shallow cave between two rocks to change. I slid off my boots and socks. As soon as I was changed, I stuffed my clothes into my boots and went to take Whisper's bridle and bareback pad off.

She followed me to a rock so I could get back up on her back, as I now had no adrenalin left to power me. She stood obediently and followed my gentle touch to her sides. We were at the edge of the spring when she halted and turned her head to me. She nuzzled my knee and that's when I saw it. There was a long streak of red on my skin and I began to panic. She looked warily at me with sad, golden brown eyes.

I slipped off of her and opened her mouth. Her lip was cut slightly, not bad enough to be worried about, and her gums where her bit rests was red and inflamed.

Together, we walked into the water. She immediately perked up and her eyes gained some sparkle I couldn't even begin to describe. I gently mounted her and she took off. Together, we swam around the spring and all the while she would fill her mouth with water and squirt it in my direction.

After about an hour, I got out and found a nice, sunny spot in the grass and laid down. Whisper grazed near by as I closed my eyes and let the sun dry me off. Hoofbeats rang through the air, alerting me of someone's arrivel.

I sat up and opened my eyes while Whisper raised her head and pricked her ears toward the sound. A moment later, Toby emerged. He was bareback on Bullet, his horse and he was in his swim shorts.

"Hey stranger. Didn't expect to see you here." I call, turning my head to look at him.

"Hi, beautiful. I didn't expect you to be here either. What's up?" He drawls, flashing his crooked smile.

"Just hanging around with Whisper. Hiding out from my father." I sigh as he slides off of Bullet and sits next to me.

"Why? If you don't mind my asking of course." He presses, wrapping an arm around my waist to pull me closer.

"He was going to rebuild the psycho-kid farm and use Whisper as an assignment horse. Well I told him no and when I went to get her out of her stall today, she wasn't there. Well I saw her on the Cross country course and I was livid so I galloped Moonstruck toward them. Some random girl was riding her and I stopped in their path. She wasn't very smart so she yanked on her mouth and now Whisper has a cut in her lip and her gums are inflamed." I explained, breathless.

"I'm sorry, Jess." He says, hugging me tighter.

"It's alright." I look up at him. "Thanks for being there for me."

Nodding, he laid back in the grass and pulled me with him. I rested my head on his chest and we just laied in silence listening to the world around us. I listened to his ryithmic breathing and heartbeat. He was the first to break the silence.

"Jess?" He says, so quiet I almost didn't hear him.

"Hmm?" I humm.

"Do you see us together?" He questions.

"That depends. Do you see us together is the real question. Because I think we have a very good chance of being together." I answer. "You have to ask yourself too."

"I already have. From the moment I met you I thought we had a chance." He sighs, kissing the top of my head.

"Well see? We have a chance." I smile.

"The question now is, are we gonna take it." He looks down at me, flashing me a bright smile.

"I guess we are." I reply, giving him a smile of my own.

Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait. I'm in Utah for spring break so my updates are gonna be slow but prior to that I was busy and had zero time to write. So here it is! The moment that I wasn't sure was going to happen! Lol. Anyway, I love you all and hope you have a GREAT spring break!

~Kassie <3