Chapter 21

"Really?" He says, standing up and scooping me up with him.

"Yes. Really." I say.

He smiles, picking me up bridal style and running toward the spring. A mischievous smile settles on his face and before I know it I'm flying through the air.The cold water engulfed me as I landed, making me gasp as I came up.

"Toby Walker!" I shout. "That wasn't very nice to do to your girlfriend!"

He stops laughing and looks into my eyes.

"Say it again." He says, grinning madly.

"Toby Walker?" I ask, tilting my head like a puppy.

"No. The other part." He says, his smile widening.

"That wasn't very nice to do,to your girlfriend." I say, batting my lashes before I turn and swimming under the waterfall.

Behind the rushing curtain of water, it is loud but it is also the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I sat on a rock and stared in awe at the plants that clung to the rocks. I was brought back to reality by being pulled into the water.

I laughed as Toby pushed me under the water, dunking me. When I came back up, I pushed him. We continued this game until we heard shouts from outside the waterfall.

"Stay here. Its my dad." I sigh, my face falling from a smile to a frown.

I swim out from the rocks and look my father dead in the face. His face is set in a deep frown.

"What do you want?" I say, venom dripping from each word.

"I came to apologize. I shouldn't have gone against you and used Whisper anyway. I'm sorry." He looks down in shame.

"I'm sorry too, daddy." I reply, getting out to hug him, despite being drenched from swimming.

"I have to get back to the house. I just wanted to apologize first." He turned on his heel and walked away.

As soon as he was gone I called to Toby over my shoulder. "You can come out now."

He joins me on the grass and I walk over to mount Whisper. Grabbing my boots, I vault onto her back and wait for Toby.

"Want to ride home with me?" I asked him.

"Of course." He replies simply.

I wait as he mounts Bullet and gets his ballence.

"So why are you riding Bullet instead of Magnum?" I ask.

"Magnum and Belle got into a quarrel and he tried to kick her through the fence. Needless to say he hurt his leg so I have to give him a month and a half off to let his leg heal. Sometimes I swear he has an empty cavern where his brain should be." He laughs.

"Wow. I get that. Tango was a horse I used to lunge for the stables and he pulled a lot of stupid stuff that got him hurt." I smile, thinking back on the memory.

"I swear. Some horses are brainless."

"You got that right." At this Whisper snorts and nips my leg.

"Ow! Whisp, that was not nice!" I shout playfully.

I came to a fork in the trail. One part was well worn and the other, recently made.

"This is my stop, Jess." He said, looking at me.

"Okay. See you tomorrow."I start to ride away.

"Jess." He says quietly.

"Jessie." He says a little louder.

"Jessica!" He yells so I can hear him.

I turn around and trot back.