Chapter 37

Jessie's POV

Jazz was amazing. He was beyond polite in whatever he did. When I was feeding, he never tried to push his way toward his food like the other horses did. Instead, he stood politely and waited until I was out of the way.
Once I finished feeding, I grabbed my helmet, clipped it on, grabbed Jazz's halter and slipped it on his head. I lead him over to the round ring and climbed onto the fence until I was up enough to get on his back.

As soon as I was settled on his back, I gave him a small squeeze and he settled into a gentle swaying walk. Jazz stretched his head and neck down, a sign that he was content. Before I could get far, Toby trotted through the trees.

"Hey gorgeous."

"Howdy cowboy."

"Where you off to?"

"The tack store. I need to get Jazz a bridle, get some vet wrap, show sheen, shampoo, saddle soap, leather conditioner, and several other things as well." I sigh.

"Wow. That's a lot."

"Yeah. We have to get ready for the incoming kids. There's one little girl named Sam that I've taken an interest in. She has a very interesting back story. I can't wait to meet her."

"Well, I'll accompany you to the tack store. I need a new curry comb anyway. Magnum figured out that curry combs are chewable."

"Okay. Sounds good to me."

The two of us nudged the horses into a walk and rode in the direction of town. Just as we were going down the driveway, a squirrel darted in front of us. Expecting Jazz to spook, I grabbed onto part of his thick mane and held tight. Jazz, however, had other ideas. Instead of spooking, he watched the little creature as curiously as it was watching him. We sat for maybe two or three minutes before the squirrel decided to scurry off into the trees.

"Good boy, Jazzy!" I praised, leaning down to give him him a hug around his neck.

"Wow, he seems bombproof so far."

"I'll say. I'm hoping that he and Sam will be a good match. She's only three or four, maybe five at the most."

With that, we continued our ride toward the tackstore.

Not to long after, we were standing in the middle of Joe's Tack and feed. Joe was a nice older man who looked to be in his early to mid sixties. He had greying hair that was always covered by a cowboy hat, a grey mustache, and was about six foot three. While going over my list, Tyler goes to look at the grooming section.

I, on the other hand, go to find everything I need and save looking at bridles for last. The new horses all came with tack that fit them and was in good condition, except Jazz's bridle. It looked like it had been chewed on by rats. I mean, the thing was heald together with duct tape and some twine. It was sad really. So that is why I am now surrounded by different types, colors, and styles of bridles. I decide on a brown leather western bridle with beautiful silver bling on it. Just as I'm about to go check out, I find a dark brown leather halter with a teal leather feather for the noseband. I pick up the large halter and the matching lead rope.

I'm done shopping by the time Toby was checked out and outside with the horses. I check out and almost faint at the price but my dad told me to pay with his credit card, so I check out and head outside to try on Jazz's new bridle. I have to tighten the cheek pieces to get the two wrinkles on one side and one wrinkle on the other. Once the bridle is fitted to him, I slip the reigns over his head.

"Toby, I hate to ask but... Could you give me a leg up?" I sigh.

"Of course." Toby smiles and plants a kiss on my cheek before helping me up onto Jazz's tall back.