Chapter 22

"You see, the molicules move faster when heated up....."

My teacher droned on and on about a subject I didn't care about. I doodled mindlessly in my journal while I waited for class to end. Toby was no where in science today and I was bored beyond belief.

Just as class was getting more boring than ever, the bell rang, saving me from hell. I scrambled to put my things together and rushed off to English class. My backpack thudded on my back as I hiked the stairs to my classroom. I had no clue where my boyfriend was so I had been getting his homework for him all day.

Where are you Toby? I wondered to myself.

I plopped down in my seat and looked at the clock. 2:30. I had a while before 3:15. My teacher started talking about metaphores and similies so I doodled some more. After 15 minutes of review, she told us it was independent reading time. I pulled out Hush Hush and began to read. Before long I had lost myself in the world of Nora and Patch. I didn't know how long I had been reading before the bell rang.

Thank god. I thought.

I walked to my locker to put my things away and drop off my biology text book. When I get to my locker, Hailey and Alli are waiting for me.

"Hey guys." I call.

"Hey. Wheres Toby?" They ask.

"Dunno. Haven't seen him all day." I say tiredly.

"Maybe he's sick. We were gonna ask if he wanted to go on a ride with us. You included of course." They answer.

"Definetly. I need to blanket Moonstruck and Comet before I go though." I mumble.

"Okay. Well my mom is picking me up so I will meet you at your house around 4:30. Bye guys!" Alli calls.

"Bye." We yell.

"Want a ride?" I ask, closing my locker.

"Sure." Hailey replies.

We walk to the parking lot to my car and I get in with Hailey. I start the car and my phone buzzes.

"It's Toby." Hailey says.

"What's it say?" I ask her.

"Hey, sorry I missed school today I have the stomach flu and won't be back for a few days. Love you." Hailey says. "Wait... What? Why did he say love you? What's going on?"

"Chill Hailey. Now if I tell you, you can't flip out on me, promise?" I grumble.

"Yes okay. Whatever. I promise. Now tell me!" She says.

"We're kinda a thing now." I whisper.

"WHAT? WHEN? WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME???" She shouts excitedly.

"First of all, OW! And second, I wasn't sure how. And third, on Saturday. We became a thing on Saturday at the spring." I mumble.

"Omigosh! Omigosh omigosh omigosh!! Does Alli know? We have to tell her! Wow!!" She squeals.

"Ow. Hail, I need my ears and your killing them! Chillax!" I reply. "And no. She doesn't know. Your the only one who knows."

She smiles smugly and I turn on the radio to kill any chance of further conversation.

That went well. I think to myself.