035 | betrayal

:: JAY

:: JAY

Usually when you spot me and Jun together, it's a high chance that you will see me practicing firebending, meanwhile Jun just sits back and watches. But this time, it's the opposite, I sit back and watch while Jun practices. Not with firebending, but with a sword since Jun is born without bending.

And compared to me, it's easier for Jun to practice and compete against someone since society thinks a sword is less dangerous and painful than firebending. But in reality, they're wrong and especially when Jun is the one who's holding a sword.

The Fire Nation's military obviously consists of mostly firebenders, but we have some non-benders too and for the last couple of years have I saved a spot for Jun for him to take in the future. In the future when my name changes from Prince Jay to Fire Lord Jay. 

"Does it look good?" Jun suddenly asked and sat down beside me.

"It does. Soon you might end up like me and don't have anyone to practice with anymore" I answered with a chuckle.

"That's my goal" Jun replied and smiled back at me.

"But one question, why are you here? Isn't your schedule supposed to be full today just like any other day? " Jun added.

"My schedule is supposed to be full today but I managed to get some extra free time today. And since I already knew you were here and practiced, I decided to pass by" I said.

"So what you're saying is that you choosed me over Aeji? I feel honored" Jun replied with a satisfied smile.

I just shaked my head after listening to Jun's reply. Maybe I should have visited Aeji instead since I do miss her.. I need to go back to the Boiling Rock soon. 

"It was just easier to come here instead of going all the way to the Boiling Rock" I replied.

"Speaking of Aeji. Have you heard anything new about Aeji and her boyfriend? Are they surviving life as prisoners?" Jun asked.

"I haven't heard anything new about either one of them. But I hope Aeji is doing fine at least, I don't really care about how it's going for Jake" I answered and added a chuckle in the end.

"The blood and genes from your father are really visible right now" Jun added.

Jun is right, the blood and genes from my father are really visible. Spending as much time as I have with my father lately has made me view our family resemblance in a new way. Compared to before, I actually feel like my fathers son now.

One reason why is because my father has finally accepted me after a really long time. The other reason why is because we have spent so much time together lately and built a relationship we never had before. What my father is doing right now is going down in the history books and since I'm his son, I'm going to step into his shoes one day.

"Prince Jay" My father suddenly called me.

Speak of the devil..

I turned around to look at my father who was staring at me with his dark eyes. Just by communicating through our eyes and feelings my father's aura made me stand up and go to my father. My father continued to stare at me with his dark eyes and then started to walk without saying anything.

I followed him inside and through the long hallways until we stepped inside the throne room. My father sat down on the throne with the fire around him meanwhile I was sitting down on my knees below him. 

"I'm very proud of you my son for what you have done for your nation lately. You have lived up to your name, expectations and reputation and your name is going to be in the future history books" My father started.

"As a betrayer" My father suddenly added.

My eyes widen and my heart stop for a very long second. After everything I have done, is this what I receive back? I don't even know why I'm being called a betrayer either.

"I am very disappointed of you Jay and your behavior. I never expected you to do something like this, and especially not because of a girl" My father added.

My heart immediately dropped. My father know Aeji? And he also knows that I have a connection with her? I might have saved Aeji from being taken away from the Fire Nation the first time we met, but she's under our control now so why is my own father calling me a betrayer?

"According to my sources have you missed a very important part of our plan. I told you to bring back all the earthbenders you could find in the northern Earth Kingdom, but you decided to skip one earthbender in Hujiang. I also found out the real reason for your sudden departure to Ba Sing Se, it's because of that girl. Not because you wanted to find information on the inside as you told me, it was all because of that girl" My father said.

"I know what I did was wrong, but in that moment it feels so right. I did return back to Hujiang again so I could bring her to the Fire Nation just like what I should have done in the first place" I replied.

"Is this girl special to you? Would you say you're maybe in love with her?" My father asked.

"No, father" I answered.

That answer is a lie..

"So if this girl is nothing special to you.. Maybe it's time for us to kill our prisoned earthbenders soon.." My father said while he sat back on his throne with a smirk on his face.

"No we can't do that!" I immediately screamed back and stood up from my sitting position. 

"I'm not going to let you kill Aeji or any of the other earthbenders" I added while the anger inside of me was boiling.

"I can't believe you were able to manipulate me this much to the point where I supported this plan like my life depended on it. What we're planning to do with the world is not something I can support anymore, I can't support a world that lives totally isolated just like I have done my entire life because of your manipulation" I said.

"Meeting Aeji is one of the best things that have ever happened to me, because she gave me a whole new perspective of the world. Because of your manipulation and the way you have raised me, I have always looked down at the rest of the nations because I thought we were the better ones. But after meeting Aeji I realized how scared the Fire Nation actually is. That's why we have isolated ourselves from the rest of the nations and built up a powerful image to hide our fear" I replied.

"After meeting Aeji, getting a whole new perspective of the world, did I also get a whole new perspective of you. I have come to the point where I realize I love Aeji more than I fear you" I said.

My father didn't say anything. He kept staring at me while the fire flames around went up and down in the same tempo as his breath.

"Guards!" My father suddenly screamed, making the flames reach the roof.

Two guards quickly arrived and each of them grabbed one arm each so I was not able to run away. My father and I continued to stare at each other like a staring contest until the two guards behind suddenly started to move. They turned me around and began walking out from the throne room.

Last time my father was this angry, frustrated and disappointed at me must be the day when I received a scar over my entire back. Compared to that day, the sadness I felt back then is not the same as now, because I honestly don't really feel any sadness at all.

But even if I don't feel any sadness, I feel a lot of shame instead for not realizing all of this earlier. If I wasn't so manipulated by my father, maybe the world would have looked a little different right now.

But even if you can't change the past, doesn't it mean it's impossible to change the future.