III

~~~
"I have to admit. Your lips look tempting"

Demitri sat in his office, planning how he could rid himself of the binds he had gotten stuck with. The lie the council in Ourà Fengàri and the witches in particular were forcing on him. The bond was either a lie or a mistake. He thought it was a mistake if it wasn't a lie because the prophecy didn't say he was the one going to be mated with a manipulator and bloodsucker. It could be anyone. Maybe the council wanted to force the prophecy to manifest itself soon. He knew of the Vivlio Xòrki and that book was most sacred to all worshippers of the moon so they knew not to mess with it but no part of him could accept that he was what the prophecy referred to. He wouldn't put it past the witches to manipulate every member of the council to lie about it. And besides the keeper of the Vivlio Xòrki was a bloodsucker. Those creatures normally sided with the manipulators.

He heard footsteps and scented his Vita before he even knocked.

"Come in". Àlfa Demitri answered

"Àlfa". Vita Vier acknowledged, showing his neck as a sign of submission and respect.

"Vier you know we're friends. You needn't be so formal with me when nobody is watching.". Demitri told him

"It's important to show respect even when nobody is watching". Vita Vier countered making Demitri roll his eyes.

Vier snickered and sat in the couch in Demitri's office.

"Any news?" Demitri asked

"Nothing you have to know". Vier replied

"Nothing I have to know?" Demitri asked switching from playful to serious in a nanosecond.

"Calm your balls, Demi. I meant nothing important. You're too much of a dick these days". Vier said with a chuckle.

"You would be a dick if witches were toying with you" Demitri muttered.

"That's true but considering what they read from the Vivlio Xòrki, I suppose there's some truth in it. You know what they say, there's a truth hidden in every twisted lie"

"That's impossible, Vier. It's a blatant lie. Just a fucking game of manipulation. I don't know why you and Meena don't see that".

"Maybe you should try accepting the bond, you know. You'd know if it's real or not". Vier advised.

"Over my dead body". Demitri cursed.

"Demi, you know there will be consequences if there's even a little truth to what we think is a lie".

"There will only be consequences if and only if I accept a deceitful bond that I'm mated to a manipulator. A witch and a bloodsucker!". Demitri said

"I really think that you should give it a try. That's the only way to find out if it's true or not"

"It's a lie. No two ways about that. You very well know that I'm destined to be without a mate".

"Maybe that's not it. And maybe you could take to the Vasílissa. She led today's trial in a just way. Maybe she wouldn't mind helping you find out if it's true. "

"That bloodsucker is probably speer heading their plans"

"I doubt that. Besides she didn't look like she was pleased with your presence. I'm certain she'd be more than happy to help you rid yourselves of whatever bond there is"