XVI

"I know you're surprised that I acknowledged what you are to my daughter without sounding bitter" Dalcia said amidst a chuckle

"

"Yes I am. We're sworn enemies by the treaty and history" Demitri replied

"I know. Come with me please." Dalcia said and led the way into the dining room where they sat across each other.

"I would ask if you'd like some tea but you probably think it's poisoned" Dalcia said looking at him as she poured some for herself.

"No, I'd like some. You didn't give me reason to think you despise me". Demitri argued and she did pour some for him.
The part of him that hated witches and vampires would have definitely rejected the tea but he felt Dalcia wouldn't harm him. At least not now.

"You're right but I could harm you for that bruise on my daughter's neck" She said making him tense up. That was true.

"I didn't mean to. My wolf lost control and she was in heat" Demitri explained.

"I can understand but she doesn't"

"I know". He said with a sad look which he masked before she could notice.

"But don't give up. If there's anything I'm sure of about wolves, it's that you're more loyal to your mates. You can charm your way into her heart. And you have the pull to help you"

Demitri stared at the woman. She was actually giving a werewolf her blessings to be with her daughter despite what he'd done. He appreciated it but he was also surprised. Very surprised. A part of him refused to believe it.

"Thank you, Kyría Dalcia. I'll have to return to my pack now" Demitri said getting up.

"I told you to call me Dalcia, Demitri but I'll let it slide this time"

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

"I can't do this" Lina muttered, giving the whip back to one of the guards. For some reason, she couldn't bring herself to met out the punishment Doukai was supposed to receive even though she had been assigned to do it.
He had administered her punishment when she deserved it yet she couldn't bring herself to do same to him. It was her duty yet for the first time in her life,she was slacking as a general.

"General, we're waiting for you to start" The guard informed her.

"I don't feel so good. Go ahead and administer the punishment"

"But-"

"That's an order, soldier!"
The guard nodded and she turned to leave even before the guard started.
She felt so sick all of a sudden and just the thought of raising a hand on her sister's chosen mate didn't sit well with her.

She was surprised to meet Kyría Celma when she had entered the castle. Everyone apart from Aria and the guards were supposed to be witnessing Doukai's punishment for harming the queen.

"Kyría Celma, is anything the matter? I m-" Lina was cut off by the older woman's arms wrapping around her midriff and holding on to her for dear life. Reluctantly,she put her arms around her. She could now understand why she wasn't with everyone else. She and Doukai were obviously close since he was a keeper of the border spell and she was the oracle of the Queendom. They mostly worked closely.

"Bless Thea Seléni that you didn't have to whip him. He wouldn't ever recover from your whipping"
Kyría Celma said with tears in her eyes. She hadn't ever seen the leader of the witches coven look so sad.

"Oh Kyría Celma, I understand you're worried about him but no matter who whipped him, he'd recover" Lina said calmly.

"No, not from yours."