XII

🌹🌹🌹

"I'm so sorry, Lina"

Aria whispered sitting close to her sister on her bed. Both feet were on the bed, her arms around them as her head rested between her knees, staring at her sister. The corners of her eyes were misty and her eyes were puffy. She stared straight ahead,at the doors, thinking of ways to tell her sister how sorry she was for putting her through such pain.

She wiped the stray tear from her face when she heard a knock. She hadn't been really aware of her surroundings so she didn't sense him but she did now.

"Come in"
Aria shouted a little and the doors opened to reveal Doukai.

"Kardíà". He muttered as he rushed to her side but she held a hand up.

"I know you were doing your job. No need to apologize. I- I just want to be alone right now. With my sister"Aria stated not even sparing him a glance.

"Ismena, you don't have to be angry at me or sad for your sister. She knew what she was doing breaking the law". Doukai argued

"I was in pain. She couldn't stand to see me in pain. I didn't understand then but I do now. She just wanted me out of pain."

"K-"

"Leave Doukai. Please"

"Alright, Kardíà. I love you. Remember that"
Doukai told her and left her alone with Lina.

Maybe it was seeing Doukai and Lina in the same room that let the waterworks flow but something caused it. She let the tears blur her vision, stain her face. She just let them flow.
She felt a tickle at her feet so she looked at her feet to find Lina's fingers moving around her feet. She watched silently as her fingers moved up to her ankle to play with the anklet around her left ankle. Aria's lips stretched in a smile. That gold anklet was a gift from Lina when she was crowned Vasílissa of Ourà Fengàri and it was dear to her heart. It was a constant reminder of the love she shared with her sister and the strong bond they had.

"I hope those tears aren't because of me". Lina said in a hoarse voice. She was obviously still weak seeing that she hadn't even made an attempt to get up. Her smile was a pained one.

"Should I get you anything? "

"Water. And don't think I didn't notice you avoided my question". Lina said barely above a whisper due to the dryness in her throat.
Aria stretched to take the glass of water on the bedside table for her.

"Thank you". Lina said and gulped the water, an action that wasn't surprising at all considering what she'd experienced the previous day.

"You cried a lot" Lina stated, watching her sister.

" I know this may be a silly question but how are you feeling right now?"

"Aria you're doing a terrible job at diverting this conversation. You're not supposed to feel bad. Doukai was right. I knew what I was doing breaking the law and I was ready for the consequences. I just miscalculated the pain. That's all.". Lina told her sister with a chuckle.

"You heard him?" Aria asked sounding surprised.

"Yes. I think you forgot I'm the one with most sharpened senses in this family".

"Lina. I'll never be able to explain how bad I feel..." Aria started

"Stop right there, Aria. You apologizing won't make me the wounds heal. It'll only make me feel bad inside for making you feel the need to apologize for doing what you had to do as queen. I know you would have stopped the whipping if you could" Lina cut her off