XI

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Loyalty isn't just a virtue. It's an emotion. It's a choice. A person chooses to be loyal no matter what and if they stick to their words no matter what, that's loyalty.

" I'm fine" Lina replied in a low tone.

"You aren't. I'm sorry General but you can't refuse food before the uh...". The guard struggled with the word. He didn't want to say it.

" The whipping, I know but I can't bring myself to eat. I appreciate your concern though."

"Alright". The guard turned to leave.

She wanted to think of the moonlit sky and the beauty of sunset yet the words of her sister were like an alarm in her head; blaring every second. She couldn't think of anything else. She wasn't bothered by the words of her sister no. And she wasn't in any way hurt by the punishment her sister deemed fit for her. She was bothered by the person to administer the punishment. It would definitely be one of the keepers but she was bothered because she had no idea who it would be.
She counted from one to a thousand to kill time and from two to five thousand; also for the same purpose. Counting would keep her mind on something other than her doom.

She sighed in relief when the guard returned to open the gate to her cell

" It's time, General" The guard declared

Lina got off the small bed she used in the cell and followed him. She was glad she would finally be out of prison so she could go back to protecting her sister.

She cringed a little upon noticing the pole in the square. She remembered how as a child she'd watched people get whipped naked for crimes they committed. Those were some of their mother's harsh rules. Good thing Aria modified them after being crowned Queen. Some of Dalcia's ways were too cruel.

Aria stood a good distance away from the pole and Lina gave her a small smile as she passed by her. Of course, she didn't return it but Lina knew it was because of her position and the possible dilemma she was in.
Truthfully, Lina hated such moments when they had to act like a leader and a follower or a master and a servant. She preferred their sisterhood and it hurt her but then again, a queen had responsibilities and she sure as hell knew what she was getting into by disobeying her orders. She was even lucky she wasn't being sent to the Crescent Moon Pack to be punished. Though she had Demitri to thank for that.

"People of Ourà Fengàri, we have gathered here this moment to witness the whipping of General Lina Ariti for disobeying the queen's orders and crossing the borders of the Queendom into the Crescent Moon Pack. She will receive ten lashes from a keeper, as she deserves"
The warden announced.

Everyone in the Queendom had gathered there to witness her punishment. To anyone else, Vasílissa Ismena Aria Ariti looked calm and collected as she watched her sister get tied to the pole,on her knees but Lina knew, with just one glance that she was having an inner battle. It was one of the reasons why she was feared despite being loved by the people of Ourà Fengàri. She was a pro at masking her emotions. You could only tell what she let you know.

The whole place was silent as the guard who led her to the pole stepped aside to reveal the bringer of her doom. The person who was going to inflict the pain from whips soaked in magic potions and vermin. She wished to hate that person too but it was hard seeing that the person would only be carrying out their duty to the Queendom. She gasped when she saw him holding the whip in his hands. Their eyes met for a split second and she swore she saw some emotion in them. It wasn't pity. No. It looked like pain. Yes, the keepers were supposed to be strong and tough, which they were but he couldn't hurt anyone even if he tried. That's what Lina thought. She believed it too till she felt the whip against her back. Her body registered the pain before the swooshing sound made it to her ears.