XXII

"... My mate"
Aria took several steps back with a hand covering her open mouth to conceal the sound of absolutely surprised that threatened to escape her lips.

"You're lying,Lina. It can't..." She shook her head in denial. Hoping it would somehow make Lina say something else. Truly, anything was better at this point than what she'd just confessed. Maybe she wanted to toy with her emotions a little. Or even make her realize Doukai wasn't worth her time after all. It wasn't really true. It couldn't be. He didn't have a mate.

"I'm sorry," Lina apologized, falling to her knees as she sobbed uncontrollably.

"No, no, no."

"I tried to keep it from you. I never meant for any of this to happen"

"Tell me it's a joke, it's a lie. Please" Aria said barely above a whisper.

It had to be a lie because this truth was far worse than the war that caused the separation. Witches and vampires getting fed up of the wolves arrogant behavior and obsession with becoming the Queendom' s most powerful and revered had nothing on Lina's confession. At least that's how it felt to her.

She was clinging to hope for it to be a lie yet the look in her sister's eyes proved there were no lies in those two words.

'Good goddess'
'What have I done?'

"No it can't be..."

"I tried to ignore it. I did"

The corners of her eyes turned misty and her eyes turned glossy when she looked her sister in the eye once more before turning away from guilt.

"No, Aria. Don't do this" Lina pleaded crawling on her knees and stopping right before her sister.

"What did I do?" Aria whispered mostly to herself, blinking the salty drops away but failing.

"Look at me, please"

"How could?..."

"No it's not your fault, I promise. Just please look at me" Lina pleaded, cupping Aria's face and forcing their gazes to meet yet she shut her eyes almost as fast as lightning. She felt more horrible than even before. Here, her sister though she had been wronged,was willing to comfort her.

"He was meant to..." sobs broke through her before she could finish her statement.

"I know. I know. Even I don't understand"

"I'm so sorry, Lina. Goddess. I'm so sorry" Aria forced through sobs.

"No you did nothing wrong" Lina argued

"You're wrong, I did everything wrong. Everything wrong and I'm so so sorry"

"Look at me, please. I beg you."

"I can't" Aria shook her head vigorously.
Despite her sister's pleas to at least look at her.
Quickly getting to her feet, she rushed past her teary sister who was begging her to stay, holding her feet in an attempt to prevent her from leaving but to no avail.

She could've used her supernatural speed to get there but she decided a barefooted run was befitting for a terrible person like herself. She felt totally undeserving of her abilities,of her position,of her identity, and most of all, her sister whom she had wronged greatly.
With no idea or any sense of direction, she let her heart take control of her feet since her mind was too hazy to come up with a comprehensible thought or processing anything and her feet led her where her heart supposed she needed to be because if her mind wasn't hazy it'd be the last place in the Queendom she'd be.

Unfortunately for her whatever comfort she sought to find wasn't there so she turned back only to find Lina at her heels.

"Aria, let's talk"