XXI

She stayed with him
Just like he'd wanted
She did it for him. In a way, she was apologizing or making up for breaking her promise of forever with him.

She stayed with him and comforted him as he mourned the loss of his mother.
A mother who hadn't been able to completely be a mother to him all because of fear instilled in her. Fear of the unknown damage a secret would do. A secret that she had taken to her grave.
A part of her only stayed with Doukai out of guilt that was eating at her from inside. Of course everyone could understand the bond between mates but she felt like she had betrayed Doukai for feeling anything apart from hate towards her mate.
A part of Aria also thought she owed it to Doukai. He was after all her previous mate. Well, 'chosen mate'.

"I'm sorry about the way things turned out, Aria" Doukai muttered low but it was audible to her anyway.

"I know, Kai. I'm sorry too but I have to go now" Aria said getting up to leave however she was stopped by him grabbing her arm.

"There's something I've been meaning to tell you"  Doukai started but was interrupted by another person barging into his home.

She released a heavy sigh, half relieved and half nervous when Demitri seized her by the wrist and dragged her out while glaring at her.

"You were with him?" Demitri's voice laced with anger did nothing to calm her down.

"What's it to you and how dare you barge in there like that?"

"What's it to me? You're my mate!"

"Yeah your mate against my will. Remember? Doukai was the mate I wanted not you but we can't have everything we want can we?"
Aria spat the words without thinking for a second what effect they could have so it felt sudden when her back was pinned to the door by her mate.

"Yet it's my mark on your neck not his". He growled lowly

"As least I'd want his". Aria whispered but he heard it anyway and he released her, taking a step away from her and turning away from her.
He had begun convincing himself that he could work things out with Aria and finding out how much she still hates his mark meant there was no way forward. Too bad it was already late for them anyway. He'd have to deal with her hatred for him for the rest of their lives together,if he dared put it that way.

Demitri sighed and turned to leave and she quickly followed, believing she still had much to say to him.

She went with him as quietly as she could since she didn't want to draw anymore attention to them considering the most recent happenings in Oura Fengari.
   The walk to the castle was filled with silence, tension and anticipation?. Well for Aria, there was definitely anticipation, only that she had no idea what she was anticipating. Immediately they entered the palace, she could no longer keep up with Demitri's strides nor did he have any patience left in him so he slipped his hand into hers and dragged her. Since she could detect the anger in his actions, she quietly went along with him. The servants stopped to stare at them in surprise as they passed them. They knew of their Queen's bull-headed self so they were surprised that she willingly let herself be dragged by anyone.
Aria gasped when her back was slammed against the door of what was now Demitri's office.

"What..."

"So that's where you were?" Demitri interrupted her
"Do you have any idea how worried I was?". He continued, pacing infront of her.

"Well, I never meant for you to worry" Aria said barely above a whisper.

"You really love him that much? Do you want to get back with him? Do you hate the idea of us so much that you have to hide in his house just to be away from me?"
Demitri quizzed, walking towards her to the point where their noses almost touched making her let out a gasp.