Glossary

(A/n: Hello! I did my best studying up for this ballet au and there will be a lot of terms used. For those who have no experience with ballet, this could be helpful to you. I tried my best to be accurate as I can. Definitions come from a mix of myself, Ballethub, and this book called Technical Manual  and Dictionary of Classical Ballet [which I have now lost apparently]. I did my best to be as accurate as possible! I tried to find a balance for those who are experienced and for those who aren't. This story may contain some inaccuracies either because I couldn't find a clear answer when searching or for story purposes. Regardless, I did my best and I hope you enjoy!)

TERMS

A

À la seconde - the leg is positioned to the side. Turns are when one leg is kept in second position in the air while turning.

En l'air - in the air. A movement is performed in the air.

Adaigo - a slow, fluid series of movements that flow from one to another.

Allégro - fast and dynamic movements often including jumping steps. Petit allegro includes smaller jumping steps. Grand allegro includes large expansive jumps such as grand jeté.

Allongé - to elongate, stretch and make longer.

Arabesque - One leg planted on the ground with the other leg kept straight behind them. Height and arm positions vary.

Assemblé - brushing a foot to the side and allowing the upward momentum to make you jump. Both legs come together with feet pointed and then land in fifth position.

Attitude - One leg in the air that is bent/angled forward (devant) or backwards (derrière).

B

Balançoire - swinging the working leg back and forth repeatedly with the upper body tilting in the opposite direction of the leg.

Balancé - a rhythm of three counts like a waltz, a step that alternates the feet by stepping out, stepping front, and stepping back.

Ballerina - female dancer.

Ballet master/mistress - a person whose job is to teach company class and to rehearse the ballets.

Balletomane - ballet fan.

Barre - a horizontal bar along a studio wall for class exercise and every ballet class begins with barre exercises.

En bas - a low position of the arms in fifth. Arms are rounded with fingers almost touching.

Battement Développé - meaning "battement developed." From a fifth position, the dancer moves their working foot up to a retiré position and opens to the front, side or back with a deliberate motion. A battement développé finishes by closing back into fifth position.

B-Plus - a "resting" pose where the dancer stands on one leg with the other placed on the floor behind with a slight bend and point.

Bourrée - a series of small steps from foot to foot, appearing as if they are gliding or floating.

Brisé - Start in fifth position. The working leg brushes up and the other leg jumps up to meet it in front of or behind in the air. Finally both feet land in fifth position. This is similar to an assemblé however there is a beat and the dancer travels.

Brisé volé - when a dancer alternates between brisé front and back in succession. Each time the dancer jumps and lands, it is on one leg.

C