Egotistical

Ch.5

These shoes are still just a little too hard. Company class has yet to start so you had time to work on softening them up a bit. Not by a whole lot, but you were going to do what you can. You've been trying to get your pointe shoes ready for use in the Balanchine studio. Everything in your bag was out and scattered around you from being used. There was a roll of satin ribbon, a lighter, glue, a knife, and a sewing kit. These were just your main essentials when it came to perfecting your pointe shoes.

You've bent the shank, enjoying every crack you could get and beat the box against the wall of the studio. Perfect for letting out anger!

Though you also did the sewing on the shoe, particularly the darning around the platform of the box. It helped give you more surface to balance on when you went en pointe and it also looked pretty in your opinion. Then the ribbons were measured and cut. They were sewed on and you made sure they fit perfectly. Ribbons were a source of your stress just for the fact that you were paranoid they would ever come undone while on stage. You'd rather have an eyelash falling off on stage, but both have happened to you already in the past. You were trying to act like everything was fine as you talked to the girls on stage secretly, all of them panicking with you. How fun.

Today was the audition and you were going to have none of that. Obviously, you couldn't stop anything wrong from happening, but you sure were going to carry the strong attitude that you had. You needed that confidence to help you through this audition. If you doubted yourself for even a second then forget it. You would end up making a small mistake. Knowing how you are, you would never stop feeling upset with yourself for a simple slip up. It would only cause the rest of your audition to go downhill which you couldn't have. Don't focus on anyone else. This audition is about you. Imagine no one else is on the floor as you dance. It will just be you and the music.

"There you are. You're the one murdering a shoe early in the morning." Jimin stepped into the studio with no announcement as usual. He shook his head to get a few black strands out of his eyes. No matter what, this man looked grumpy. He walked over to you in grey sweats and a baggy black hoodie.

"It's too loud when I dance." You continued to beat the box of the shoe against the wall. It didn't sound pretty at all. Quite violent actually. Jimin's expression already let you know that he hated the sound.

"Does the shank have friction? You can't afford to slip," Jimin said as you sighed.

"No kidding. I already scratched up the bottom with my knife so it's fine." You took a second to stop abusing the pointe shoe to show him. Jimin only stared at it with a blank expression, unimpressed as expected. The two of you had barely just started talking today and you already felt your patience with him getting all used up. He better not say anything rude or you might soften your pointe shoe by using his head. You turned back to banging the box against the wall, Jimin frowning at this.

"This is the worst noise in the world." Jimin scrunched his nose up.

"You don't have to be here."

"I do. I have to remind you of what we're working towards before company class. I can't have you thinking you can just do your best and forget my lessons." Jimin's words got you to stop hitting the wall. That should be enough for now. At this moment, you were tired of listening to Jimin. You faced him with a tight smile that he didn't bother reciprocating.

"Listen, Jimin. My best is the best at this company. I'm a principal for a reason and I'm confident in my abilities. Got that?" You made it clear for him. You were hoping he would back off, but he only began to smirk the slightest bit.

"That's what I'm talking about. This is the attitude that we need more of here." Well, that wasn't the reaction you were expecting. He shouldn't be encouraging this type of thing from you of all people. You rolled your eyes with a sigh at this, but he was completely serious. "I know you're not as modest as you let on. You want that role more than any of the girls at this company and you'll do anything to get it. You know they don't stand a chance. You know you can dance circles around them any day. You know you're better than all of them."