Odette

Ch.1

Some things aren't forever and you know that well as a professional ballet dancer. You proudly dance for the Seoul National Ballet. It was the top company in the entire country. Getting in was only a miracle after years of hard work and training. It was an incredibly nerve wracking audition when you were only eighteen. It's a good thing that you have the ability to hide just how nervous you are. You did your best for that audition and got accepted. You still remember the scream you let out when you got the letter in the mail. Those were all good memories.

Except you knew that if you thought back to your old audition, you would scrunch up your nose in horror. You've improved so much since then and that was inevitable. For six days a week, working sometimes more than six hours a day on your dancing was bound to lead to some improvements. Though some was just you being modest. It's not like you're the best ballerina in the world and you don't claim to be. But you've worked hard to get where you are today. From joining the corps de ballet at eighteen to being a principal which is the highest rank you can achieve at twenty-three. You'd say that you're doing pretty swell for yourself.

It was an honor to be a principal and one you didn't take lightly. In order to bea principal, you had to prove your artistry and keep your technique polished and developing since that's what got you promoted in the first place. That was what it took to go from corps de ballet to soloist to principal. You made sure to always do your best. You have to strive for perfection, work hard, and give it your all. This career as a performer won't last you your whole life. That's something you already know and have come to terms with. However, that only meant that every second and every moment has to be spent training. The SNB was no joke and you refused to harm its reputation by putting on a poor performance. Everyone in the cast depends on each other to put on a great show

That's why ballet has easily become your entire life. Starting from two years old and not knowing how to turn without falling on your side or even a leap. Now you could easily do fouetté turns and do a jeté en tournant. You've made it your job to get better. It all started because your mom thought it would be a cute activity for you. There wasn't much going on in your head when you first started ballet. It was just something you did and then eventually you were growing competitive. The goal was to be the best which continued on for a couple years.

It was around seventeen that you got an injury that prevented you from dancing for a few months. It was then when you realized how tortuous it was not to dance. Not only did you feel weak and pathetic, you also came to the realization that your past behavior was stupid. You shouldn't be comparing yourself to your peers. Everyone was hard on themselves and you were a brat. By the time you had healed and you were back in the studio, you focused on yourself. Improving for yourself and dancing because you love it. Not because you want to be better than the people around you.

You feel it was that mindset that helped you get into SNB. Naturally, you're hard on yourself and want to be the best that you can be. It took years to get your principal role here at SNB and you'll make them proud. You put all your energy in focusing on yourself to the point where you would say you didn't have that many friends here or any at all. Just one. One friend and miraculously, a rival of some sorts. It's not like you've ever provoked your rival, but you tend to get the roles she wants. While she was a soloist and gets nice roles for herself, you could read her like an open book because you were her once.

She wants to be best out of everyone here and you were waiting for that mindset of hers to go away. It only made her more annoying which didn't help the professional relationship the two of you were supposed to have.

This is where having one friend sucks. It's not that you expect your dear friend to stand up for you. Oh no, you can do that just fine yourself. The problem was that since you only have one friend, things are going to be very lonely and more frustrating once she leaves. Rosamie, your sweet friend told you a couple months ago that she wasn't going to be re-signing her contract with SNB. She felt burnt out from the strict art and wanted to pursue something a little more freeing. It stunned you and it still breaks your heart.