Giving An Adult An Attitude

Amanda was baking apple cinnamon muffins. She was 12 years old, and has been cooking, since she was 7 years old. Her mother taught her how to cook pasta, hot dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches, mac and cheese, and chicken salad. Her neighbor, Mr. Curtis, stopped to pay a call.

"Hey there, girl!" he said.

"Hi, Mr. Curtis," said Amanda. "What are you doing here in my house?"

"Just thought I say hi," said Mr. Curtis. "Baking apple cinnamon muffins, I see?"

"Yeah, what does it look like I'm baking?" said Amanda, in a snarky tone.

"Do you need some help?" asked Mr. Curtis.

"Does it look I need any help?" said Amanda, derisively.

"Okay, I was just asking," said Mr. Curtis, as politely as he could be. "I'll get out of your way, now. Tell your mother I said hi. Take care, now. And, with those words, he left. Mr. Curtis felt kind of hurt that Amanda was speaking to him in that tone. He was 57, and Amanda was only 12.

Amanda put the apple cinnamon muffins in the oven, using the oven mitts. "I'm glad that Curtis left," said Amanda, not addressing him as Mr.

"That's Mr. Curtis to you," her mother corrected. "Did he stop by?"

"Yeah, and he asked me if I needed help with baking the muffins, and I told him; does it look like I need help?" explained Amanda.

"No need for the attitude, Amanda," said her mother. "He just offered to help, that's all.

"He's not allowed to come here everyday!" said Amanda.

"Excuse me, missy, but he is a lot older than you!" snapped her mother. "You're only 12! Watch how you speak to grown folks!"

"I am about to be a teenager!" protested Amanda.

"You just turned 12, last week!" said her mother. "I think you should go over to his house, and apologize to him, for the way you spoke to him."

"Do I have to?" sighed Amanda.

"Yes, you do," said her mother. "Go on, now. Go to his house, and apologize. Move it!"

Amanda rolled her eyes, walked outside and went to Mr. Curtis's house, which was three houses down. She knocked on the door, and went inside. She apologized to him, and all was forgiven. Amanda went back home, to keep an eye on the muffins.

This story was written on Saturday, September 25th, 2021.

A/N Amanda needs to cut that attitude out! Mr. Curtis wanted to help! Giving a 57 year old man an attitude is the worst thing, a 12 year old girl could do! Don't be a silent reader. Please leave feedback. Thanks.