49 - drainwater

✧✧

✧✧

"This is the north drain. It should've gotten washed into the gully. So if it got flushed out from the drain, it would've been pushed out to, like-" JJ starts to gesture to the sewer and I feel myself gag.

'"Somewhere in this trash." Pope finishes his sentence as I swallow the lump in my throat. "Oh my god."

"People who use plastic should be shot." Kiara scoffs and JJ looks up, smirking as he pulls some supplies out of his bag. "Okay, personally, I love plastic. Use it every day. Love the stuff."

"Okay well hopefully, you recycle it and don't let it flush into the ocean." she sneers at him and I roll my eyes, knowing quite well he's trying to get underneath her skin.

"I thought you'd say something like that, so.. trash bags." Pope holds up the black plastic bags and I swear I can see Kie blush. "Did you just proactively protect the environment?"

"Maybe.." it's silent for a second as the two just stare at each other, JJ breaking the silence by clearing his throat. "You want us to leave you two alone or what's going on? Cause like I can go make out with del behind a bush or something until you're done."

JJ doesn't have any time to react before the bundle of trash bags is hurdling towards him, hitting him square in the chest. "Just pick up the trash."

"I got to admit Pope... that was kinda out of pocket." a laugh escapes my lips and I can feel his glare from a few feet away. "Just because you are growing a child doesn't mean you can't help. Don't you guys want your child to grow up in a world where the ocean is still blue?" he glances at both JJ and I and I begrudgingly grab the black trash bag from his hands.

It took around two hours for us to pick up all the garbage we could see, Kie screeching if we left a piece of plastic untouched. "Well that was fun."

"If the gun isn't in the trash, then it's gotta be in the storm drain." Pope's eyes connect with mine and I sigh. "Yep it's in the storm drain."

"Dammit. Of course it is." she groans, throwing her arms up in defeat before looking back at the metal crate. "So, are we, like, gonna do rock, paper, scissors?"

"nah."

"or alphabetically?"

"nah." he shoots her down again, which only makes her more enraged. "Okay pope. One. Two. Three." he ignores her, both of them pulling the cover off the pipe. "Or like oldest goes first?"

"In the sewer, there is this worm that you get when you're down there. It gets into your blood, and then it comes out of your pecker... So yeah that gonna be a hard pass for me." he trails off as Pope nods beside him.

"That gonna be a no for me." she glances at me and I immediately shake my head . "Don't look at me for help, I'm the one growing a whole ass human inside of me. And that's enough work."