52 - homecoming

✧ ✧

✧ ✧

"They are some nice people, right Delilah?" my mother glances at me as shimmy myself into the burgundy jumper I was wearing the day before. "Keaton and Alora were endearing, it is just so amazing what he does for doctors without boarders but Ophelia..." I trail off. The entire dinner she was glaring at me as my mother and I would try to make conversation with everybody. Any time she was asked a question, she dodged it by either shrugging or just completely ignoring it in the first place.

"I think she is just having a hard time adjusting to this, I mean a lot has changed for you in the past year, so you have learned how to cope, but I don't think she's at that point yet." she shifts the car into drive, but before she can even leave the parking lot of the hotel, a truck pulls in behind us and we jolt to a stop. "What the hell is that person doing?!" she glances back to the window and as soon as I see the color of the truck, I'm unbuckling my seatbelt, practically jumping out of the passenger side door until I feel a hand grasp my arm.

"Mom it's-" I start to say but she shushes me, nodding her head. "I know lilah, just please for the love of god be safe and stay out of trouble. I wish you wouldn't have gotten mixed up within all of Ward's business, but I know there isn't anyway you are going to give up and listen to me now. So please stay safe, for me." she looks at me and I feel my lip quiver as I nod.

"I will mom, I promise. I love you and I'll see you soon." I shut the door before I can hear her reply, knowing that if I hear her say those three words back I'll never be able to keep her out of all of this. I'll never be able to keep her safe.

"Thank god you guys are still here, now get in the truck." JJ's head sticks out the truck window as he opens the door. I let out a squeal as he picks me off the ground and sets me next to him on the seat. "It's a good thing we're small." Kie chuckles as Pope takes off and I shoot a "please explain now" look to my boyfriend.

"Pope got a letter from the scholarship people and long story short, they asked to meet him at their house in Charleston, here today because they said they have something that could clear John B."

"You're kidding, right?" they don't say anything in response, and a sense of panic rushes over me. "So we really are just heading to this unknown house, with nothing to defend ourselves, just because of a piece of paper?! You guys can't even justify this, it's insane!"

"Calm down Li, we're gonna be fine. Besides, what could happen to us in a neighborhood that looks like this?" he gestures to the houses that tower over us, at least twice the size of the one's in figure eight.

"You don't know this kind of rich people Jay, these people make our kooks look like pogues and that it not a good thing. There is a reason my mom and dad left Charleston when they did." I say, glancing out the window, if only they knew how wrong they are.

Within a few minutes, the truck pulls to a stop outside a beautiful, three-story house with white pillars and a black spiked fence surrounding it.