3

Filled with butterflies and leftover adrenaline, Maria walks into her house practically beaming. She had never done something so crazy before, but with Jimin, it seemed so easy.

But then, those happy feelings were lost. Her father was sitting at the kitchen table, his lips pressed into a firm line as his dark eyes stared at her.

"Maria," her father says, voice cold. "Sit."

Maria gulps, her palms beginning to sweat as she walks towards him slowly until she's sitting opposite of him. "Yes?"

"What the fuck were you thinking?" her father spits. "Racing around town with that lousy boy."

Maria was about to ask how he knew, but then she remembered her father's position. The man could know anything he wanted with just a few phone calls.

"We were only having a little bit of fun," she says, her voice timid as she looks down at her lap.

"You don't deserve fun," her father scowls, the chair screeching against the floor as he abruptly stands and stalks over her. "I don't want to see you around that boy again, you hear?"

"But-"

The smack of his hand against her cheek echoed in the kitchen, and the council ring he wore sliced her skin open. It was silent for a few seconds, but when the pain hit her, tears began building in her eyes.

"Just go clean up or something," her father sighs, a little worriedly. Maria knew it wasn't because she was hurt. It was because she wouldn't be his pretty, political doll with a cut on her cheek.

Maria raced upstairs before he could blink and shut the door gently behind her. Slamming it would only make things worse. She was sobbing by now, like she always did whenever he got like this. It was the same routine, really, and she felt like she was just a hopeless rag doll.

But the sinking realization that no one was going to help her soon hit like it always did, and she headed to the bathroom to pull out the first aid kit.

Maria feels the tight hold on the rope of sanity loosen just a little.

***

The cafe is always busy on Saturday's. People with a day off want to enjoy a nice drink, and Maria couldn't blame them. She could use something herself.

"A strawberry refresher, please," she says, voice muffled a little due to the mask on her face.

"That'll b—Maria!" the barista beams.

"Hey, Haneul," Maria greets, her eyes showing her smile. 

"It'll be on the house," Haneul grins. Maria was a common customer at the cafe, and her and Haneul were on friendly terms."Go sit."

Maria thanks her before scurrying off to the little corner seat by the window, one of her favorites as she could watch the world outside.

"Look who it is," a voice says, and Maria looks up in surprise.

"Jimin," she smiles.

"Can I sit?" he asks, and she nods. He crosses one leg over the other before cocking his head to the side, a curious smile on his lips. "It's pretty silly to wear a mask when having a drink, isn't it?"

"I'm just feeling a little sick," Maria murmurs, looking down at her lap.

"Bullshit."

Maria's head snaps upward. No one had ever been so bold as to call out her lie like that before. No one had cared, or noticed.

Except him.

"How-"

"You looked down and twisted the ring on your finger," he shrugs, offering a small smile. "Plus, I'm good at knowing when people lie, kitten. It's kind of a talent of mine."

Maria barely affords a nod before Haneul is strolling over with her drink, and the barista raises a questioning eyebrow. Maria merely blushes and takes the drink before shrinking back into her seat as Jimin orders a tea for himself.

"So," Jimin says once Hanuel walks away. "Are you going to take the mask down now?"

"I can't," Maria says quietly.

Jimin frowns, studying her silently.

"Maria," he suddenly says.

"Hm?"

"Would you like to go on another drive?"

Jimin laughs as she perks up instantly and nods. The sight was rather cute to him.

"I'll make it fun," he promises, and she winces at the word.

"You don't deserve fun."

"I-I should go," Maria says, panicked, as her father's words echo in her ears.

"Sit."

Maria freezes, looking at him with wide eyes.

"Good girl," Jimin murmurs, hiding his smirk in his tea.

thank you for reading ! :)