23

A year passed and Jimin and Taehyung were still stuck together like glue.

A year in a mental hospital gives you time to think. It twists your mind and leaves you succumbing to the demons late at night when you're alone trembling in your gown.

The two had learned to behave more or less. However, sometimes their rebellious behavior would break through and they would get hit, which made the beasts inside of them grow bigger.

Jimin sat on his bed, hugging his knees to his chest and staring out his window. There were dark circles under his eyes and his hair was a mess from how many times he had pulled at it, but his pupils still held that crazy glint.

He had been striked earlier that day, for talking back to his worker. His cheek still held that familiar sting.

He touches his cheek and laughs, his eyes widening. He will be out of here tomorrow. Him and Taehyung would both be set free, and then they would finally be able to kill whoever they wanted.

***

Jimin and Taehyung held their hands tightly as they exited the building. Parents or legal guardians were supposed to pick children up and bring them normal clothing.

Neither one of their parents showed up.

So, hand in hand and barefoot, they began walking. They didn't know where, and they were sure they looked ridiculous in their gowns, but they didn't care. They were finally free.

"What should we kill first?" Taehyung giggles, eyes full of wonder.

Jimin was about to answer when they rounded the corner and came face to face with a young boy. His eyes were doe-like and he looked at the pair of boys with confusion.

"Hey," Taehyung speaks up first, standing a little in front of Jimin protectively.

"Hey," the boy smiles shyly. "I'm-"

"Jungkook!" an older man laughs, jogging towards him and placing a hand on his shoulder. "Oh! Did you make friends?"

Taehyung yanks Jimin behind him and stares at the man with his face twisted angrily.

"Are you boys okay?" the man asks, walking towards them before crouching down. "I'm Officer Jeon. I'm here to help you, okay?"

"We don't need your help," Taehyung snaps.

"Taehyungie," Jimin says, stepping out from behind him. "Hi, Officer Jeon. I'm Jimin. Can we have clothes?"

"Oh, of course, Jimin," Officer Jeon nods, a frown tugging at his lips. "What happened to your cheek?"

"She hit me," Jimin says, shrugging.

"Dad," Jungkook frowns, tugging at his father's shirt. "We can take them home and help them, can't we?"

And that's how Jimin and Taehyung ended up at Jungkook's place, being washed and provided warm clothing before they all sat down for a nice meal. Jimin and Taehyung provided Officer Jeon bits of their situation through their dinner, and the officer began to understand their position.

"You're welcome to stay as long as you need," Jungkook's father says as he collects their bowls. "It's just Jungkook and I here, and I'm sure Jungkook would like the company while I'm away at work."

"You're not gonna send us away?" Taehyung asks.

"No," he shakes his head. "Jungkook, take the boys upstairs and help them get ready for bed."

And life after that turns... interesting. Taehyung and Jimin grow up in the Jeon household until they turned 18, and then they move into an apartment together. As much as Jungkook is around them, Jimin and Taehyung just connect on a deeper level that he doesn't understand.

For example, Jungkook still remembers how the boys had sat in the backyard and laughed as they tore the wings off of butterflies. The thought still makes him shiver.

At the age of 19, Jimin and Taehyung get a call from Jungkook saying his father passed away.

They attend the funeral, of course, and let Jungkook cry on their shoulders, but they don't really feel anything. The man wasn't really close to them anyway. He was away at work half the time and spent time with his real son the other.

So throughout the sobbing bodies, their faces remained neutral.

After Jungkook's fathers death, trouble began.

Jimin and Taehyung still hated following the rules, and with that, they went against the law.

And when Jungkook found out, he was furious.

"You cannot keep breaking the law just because you two think it's fun!" he shouted at them one evening.

"You don't even know the worst of what we've done," Jimin scoffs, his feet resting on the table. "Relax, Kook."

"Relax?" Jungkook slams his hands on the table and stands. "My father took you both in. He gave you clothes, food, and put a roof over your head, and this is how you repay him? By going against the very thing he stood for?"

"So he did the legal things required of him as a parent," Taehyung deadpans, shrugging nonchalantly. "Kook, we're careful. We're not getting caught."

"Yet."

"What do you mean, yet?" Jimin growls.

"I... I won't protect you two any longer," Jungkook says, shaking his head. "It is my duty to follow in my father's footsteps."

It was deadly silent after that. Each second that passed felt worse, and none of them moved until Jimin stood up slowly.

"You're breaking our friendship off because of him?"

"Him would be my father, so yes," Jungkook says, standing up straighter.

"You don't want to be our friend anymore?" Taehyung frowns, standing up as well.

Jungkook stays quiet for a few seconds. "That's right. Get out of my house."

"Jung-"

"Get out!"

Taehyung flinches back at the shout and swallows the lump in his throat. It's not until he feels Jimin's hand slide into his own that he remembers to use his legs and walk away.

And that's how the trio parted: one down the road of a cop and the other two down the road of criminals.