28

Maria stood at the top of the stairs, her fingers clutching onto the railing. She had a ball of nerves in her stomach, and she dared to walk down the stairs at the alluring sound of Jimin's laughter.

His laughter, however, fell short when she entered the room. His eyes once full of amusement suddenly turned dark with lust and want, and he looked her up and down slowly to take in everything.

"You look..." he swallows, sliding a hand around her waist. "Breathtaking."

Maria giggles, her cheeks a rosy red as Jimin ghosts his lips over hers. He looked dangerously handsome tonight, with his sharp suit and slicked back hair.

"I will kill anybody that dares to look at you too long," he murmurs, squeezing her hip.

Maria takes a shaky breath before tugging him closer for a kiss. They were interrupted, however, by a forced cough.

Maria pulls away, embarrassed, and her eyes widen at the new face in the room.

"Maria, this is Jin, the waiter I told you about?" Namjoon says. "He's going to hold the champagne tray so you can slip the poison in."

"Pleasure to meet you," Jin grins, winking at her.

"Likewise," she replies, offering a wary smile.

"Here, put this in," Jimin says, handing her the ear piece. "Jin, I imagine you have a backup plan in case this falls back on you? You are the waiter holding the glass of poison, after all."

"Don't worry, pretty boy," Jin laughs. "No one would suspect my handsome face. Plus, compared to you, who looks more suspicious? No offense."

"None taken," Jimin chuckles, shaking his head. "Is everyone ready?"

"Let's go over the plan again," Hobi says, crossing his arms. "I want everybody to be on the same page."

"Fine," Jin sighs dramatically. "I'll be leaving soon to get ready for the dinner party. I'll walk around and offer people glasses of champagne."

"Hobi and I will be here with the laptops. We'll hack into the cameras and make sure you're not being seen," Yoongi continues.

"Maria, Tae, Jimin, Namjoon and I will be walking around, talking to people and acting like Maria invited us personally," Iris then says. "Her father won't be able to make a scene, let alone at his own event, so we will get to know others to make witnesses."

"We'll pass the vial between our hands," Taehyung says. "Until it lands in Maria's hands."

"And then Jin will come around us and offer us drinks," Jimin continues.

"And then I'll slip the poison in the last glass," Maria finishes. "And then when he drinks it, he'll die."

Everyone nods, and then it's quiet for a few moments before Jin speaks up.

"Anyway," he laughs, clapping his hands. "I'm gonna get going. I'll see you all there."

Jimin raises an eyebrow as Jin walks out, and then he turns to Namjoon. "You sure we can trust this guy?"

"He's not so bad, y'know," Namjoon grins, folding his arms over his chest. "Give the guy a chance."

"Well if you trust him, I suppose I could too," Jimin shrugs. "Are we all ready to go?"

Yoongi hums around his sip of wine and raises a thumbs up, Hobi already typing away furiously at his laptop beside him.

"Then let's go."

***

The familiarity of the events she once attended smacked her in the face as soon as they walked in, the only thing keeping her stable being Jimin's hand on the small of her back.