17

When Jimin wakes up, it's with a frown. He doesn't feel Maria on his chest or pressed against his side, and he opens his eyes with slight panic.

It's then that he hears the TV. Maria is perched on the edge of the bed, dressed in Jimin's shirt that she must have slipped on when she woke up.

Jimin crawls towards her until he's sitting behind her, his legs going out on either side of her hips. He hugs her from behind and lands a sweet kiss to her cheek before hooking his chin on her shoulder.

"Good morning, gorgeous."

Maria smiles a bit, but her eyes stay on the TV. "Morning."

Jimin turns his attention to the TV, and then he understands why she's so distracted.

"I just can't believe someone would break into my house. And target my daughter for goodness sake! It was a very heartbreaking sight to come home to."

Jimin rolls his eyes. The asshole was really laying it on thick.

"I'm thankful I sent her away for her birthday trip. I want her to be as safe as possible while the authorities-"

Jimin grabs the remote and turns the TV off, and Maria turns her head to look at him.

"I'm tired," she says softly.

"I know, baby," he sighs, pressing a kiss to her lips.

Maria frowns, turning around and straddling his lap. Her fingers play with the hair on the nape of his neck as her eyebrows furrow.

"Jimin?"

"Hm?"

"What does it feel like to kill someone?"

Jimin's eyebrows raise at the question. It catches him off guard, and he squeezes her hips before answering.

"Well... it feels exhilarating, if I'm being honest. Especially when it's someone you don't like. When you get to stand over their lifeless body, knowing you did that... baby, it's like nothing you've ever felt before. It makes you feel powerful."

"Does it... do you feel guilty?" she asks quietly, her eyes looking at his face as she traces his features with her fingers.

"Maybe in the beginning?" he shrugs. "Not really, though. I think it's exciting."

Maria smiles, pressing her forehead to his. "Me too."

"You think it's exciting?" Jimin chuckles, sliding his hands under her (his) shirt to caress her thighs. "Why do you ask, baby?"

"Because," she whispers, lips brushing against his own. "I want to kill my father."

***

"When is your birthday anyway?"

"Oh," Maria blinks in surprise, fiddling with the strings of Jimin's hoodie. She was drowning in it, and she had to roll the waistband of his sweatpants a few times before they wouldn't drop to her ankles. She really needed to go shopping for her own clothes. "The 15. So in... two days? Yeah."

Iris's mouth drops and she stops walking, and Maria looks back confused. "What?"

"Don't 'what?' me!" she huffs. "Your birthday is in two days and I haven't had any heads up to get you gifts or plan a damn party!"

"It's okay," Maria laughs, grabbing her hand to keep pulling her along the sidewalk. "It's not a big deal."

"Yes it is," Iris stresses. "Whatever. I have two days to plan. I can work with that."

Maria smiles, shaking her head as she opens the door for Iris. The guy at the counter looked bored, playing on his phone absentmindedly, and Iris cleared her throat.

"Oh," he smiles sheepishly, pocketing his phone. "Hi. What can I help you girls with?"

"We're looking for strychnine," Iris smiles sweetly. "Nasty rat problem, y'know?"

"Oh, sure," he shrugs, going to the back to grab the bottle.

When it was secured in a bag, Maria couldn't help but have a pep in her step when they walked back out. So far, their plan was working out great.

"So," Iris smirks. "You and Jimin?"

This time, Maria was the one to stop.

"Huh?"

Iris bursts out laughing as Maria's face grows red. "Relax. The guy is obsessed with you."

Maria smiles bashfully. "You think so?"

"I know so," Iris says, and then she pulls out a black card. "And he just so happened to give me his card so we could go shopping."

"He did?" Maria frowns. "But I don't wanna use his m-"

"Girl, it's a centurion card," Iris laughs. "Money is not an issue for us. Plus, he gave me strict orders that his kitten was to be allowed to buy anything she wanted."

Maria smiles shyly, and Iris took her hand as they walked to the next store with determined steps.