(the umbrella academy fan fiction) ✖️

Circus Freak (The Umbrella Academy Fan Fiction)

On the 12th hour of the 1st day of October 1989, 43 women around the world gave birth.

This was unusual only in the fact that none of these women had been pregnant when the day first began.

Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer, resolves to locate and adopt as many of the children as possible.

He got 7 of them.

"LET'S PLAY TWO TRUTHS ONE LIE, I'LL GO FIRST.
MY LIFE WAS BUILT ON LIES; THAT'S THE FIRST.
THERE WASN'T A DAY WHERE I DIDN'T LIE; THAT'S THE SECOND.
THERE WAS NEVER A DAY THAT WENT BY THAT I DIDN'T LOVE YOU.
...
I'LL LET YOU DECIDE WHICH IS THE LIE."

Maverick.

That's all he had to him.

A boy unlike the lucky seven who were picked up by Reginald Hargreeves, this boy was conceived by his mother and quickly given up for adoption because she was young and wanted nothing to do with children in the first place.

Living in the orphanage wasn't so bad in the beginning, he had many children he viewed as friends, some he viewed as siblings, there wasn't anything in the world that kept him from his happiness. Though it all went down hill when his powers kicked him and he was shunned away by everyone in the orphanage and was seen as a freak; a monster. So, he fled the orphanage to pursue a life where nobody knew who he was.

That was how he stumbled across the Haines Family Circus. He was enamoured by the colors, the acts, the magic; it was the first time in a long time he felt such joy in his heart. When he noticed that they were looking for new acts, he didn't hesitate to rush in for an audition. At first, they were skeptical at what he could do since he was just a young child, but they were taken aback at the sight of his "magic act", he called it.

They didn't hesitate to bring him into the life as a circus performer, he travelled with them all over the world and became one of the star attractions in the circus, but to him, this band of circus freaks was more than that to him, they were his family that even allowed him to have the name Haines.

He was Maverick Haines, the Master Illusionist of the Haines Family Circus.