Discussing

"There are a couple more things I would like to talk to you about," Damon tells me, and I get off his knee and return to my seat. If we're discussing serious things, I want there to be a desk between us. I don't know why, but I feel safer that way. Like I'm at less of a disadvantage. This way, I can pretend we're work colleagues or something. Because although he made me feel so safe and secure, he still scares me.

"You're very thin," he stated. "You look malnourished."

I screwed up my face ready to object but he held up his hand to stop me, obviously anticipating my reaction.

"I don't mean that negatively, it's just an observation."

I nodded. It was a fair point.

"Is it because you didn't have access to enough food? Or is there another reason?"

I didn't answer. I didn't want to tell him. Even though I hadn't had the best life with my mother, I still felt a sense of loyalty to her and didn't want to say anything bad.

"I need you to tell me, so I know the best way to help you," he told me.

Still, I hesitated. But he kept his eyes on me, looking at me sternly, demanding with his eyes that I answer.

"Yes," I whispered. "There was never enough food. I don't know what it's like to not be hungry."

"Thank you for telling me." He didn't smile, but his voice was kind. "That won't happen anymore," he told me softly. "Here, you can eat as much as you like. We eat meals as a family as much as we can, but you can snack whenever you want. If you make a list of your favourite foods, and any foods you don't like, I will pass it on to the staff and they will ensure there is always food here you enjoy."

My heart swelled at this simple courtesy. I'd never been asked about my food preferences before. I'd only ever been given two choices: eat it or starve. Of course I always ate it, because I was constantly hungry.

With such a simple gesture, I was amazed at Damons ability to make me feel cared for. But then his voice hardened and his expression grew stern and I wondered, once again, what I had gotten myself into. Damon could go from kind and gentle to absolutely terrifying in the blink of an eye.

"There are some rules I will expect you to follow while you are here." He steepled his fingers on his chin and looked over them at me.

I nodded.

"You already know the first few, most important ones: respect, obedience, no yelling. Do you have any questions there?"

I shook my head.

"Answer me verbally, please."

"N... no. I have no questions," I stuttered nervously. I wrung my hands together in my lap, my palms clammy with nerves. My tummy was in knots. Jack had assured me I was safe, but that was easy for him to say. He wasn't sitting across the desk from a scary, intimidating man during what felt like a dangerous inquisition.

"Good." Damon looked me up and down, I knew he could tell I was afraid. But he didn't do anything to reassure me. Instead, he continued in a stern voice, his eyes holding mine in a steady gaze.

"All of the rules we have in place are for your own safety," he said.

Inwardly, I groaned. Yeah right. People always say that, but it's hardly ever true. Most rules are in place for convenience; generally the convenience of the rule-maker. But I didn't voice my opinion. I held my tongue and waited for him to continue.

"Did Logan point out the left wing? The business headquarters?"

I nodded, and Damon lifted an eyebrow in warning.

"Uh, yes sir," I stammered, remembering the verbal answer rule.

A strange look passed across Damon's face. "You don't have to call me sir," he said. "I just need a verbal response so I know you understand." His eyes softened and he leaned forward a bit. "Did he make you call him sir?"

I nodded, remembering. "Yes," I whispered. "He'd beat me if I didn't." I wanted to tell Damon that my calling him sir was a default response to fear, but I didn't dare. I don't think he was trying to intimidate me or scare me, it was just how he was. It isn't his fault I'm not very brave.

"That won't happen here," Damon said. "But back to the left wing. Did Logan tell you that you are not to go in there?"

"Yes," I replied, not hesitating this time. "Not that I could even if I wanted to, with that great big lock on the door. Why does it need a lock anyway? What sort of business do you do?"

Damon frowned. He looked scary when he frowned. "Even if the door is unlocked, you are to stay out," he told me firmly.

"Okay," I agreed quickly.

"We have multiple businesses - a restaurant, nightclub, casino, a factory and a merger and acquisitions company."

I nodded. I didn't understand why any of that had to be conducted in locked-up secrecy, but I was naive to the business world. It didn't sound as exciting as I was hoping, though.

But then it occurred to me. Why such secrecy if this very room was Jack's office? It didn't make any sense.

"But isn't this Jack's office? And yours across the hall?" I hadn't meant to pose my question out loud. I'd meant to just pretend I was accepting his explanation and hide the fact that I fully intended to find out the truth for myself, later.

Damon nodded. "Yes, that's right. But our business arrangements are none of your concern. All you have to know is that your brothers and I will ensure you will never want for anything again."

I screwed up my face. That wasn't an explanation, and all it did was make me suspicious, and more determined than ever to get into the forbidden wing. Somehow, I would do it.

"I mean it, Carrie. Finance, business, all of that, you don't have to worry about. We will take care of you well."

I smiled at him then, the tightness in my tense shoulders relaxing at his assurance. I knew he would, he already was. My new room, laptop, television.... He had been very generous already.

The chair creaked slightly as Damon leaned back in it, stretching, and I giggled. It seemed funny to me that such a flash place could have creaky chairs.

"Nick will take you shopping tomorrow. I know you didn't bring very much with you, and you look like you've outgrown what you're wearing. I want you to make a list of what you want and need so you can get it all because there may not be another chance for a while. There is no budget, Carrie. Get everything you need and want. You've got a big wardrobe for a reason. Nick is the only one of your brothers who likes shopping and he will be busy at work for the next few weeks."

Warm, fuzzy feelings flooded me. The way Damon organised everything so efficiently, issuing commands that benefited only me, was such a nice experience. It was a new thing for me, preparing to go shopping. My mom had browsed thrift shops when I'd needed something, but she'd made me feel like a burden in the process. And now, even though I probably was a burden, and a surprise one at that, Damon didn't show it at all.

"Okay, thank you." I smiled.

"Alex told me about your reaction to the need for security," Damon said sternly, frowning at me just slightly. It amazed me how he could go from gentle to stern so quickly. "Security is not optional. You will have a bodyguard tomorrow."

I felt all the colour drain from my face. No way. I wasn't having a bodyguard. I couldn't. I couldn't articulate why, and I knew Damon wouldn't understand anyway, but just the thought of it, of someone watching my every move, made me feel sick.