Alex

I flinched at Alex's words and forced back feelings of guilt and shame. My big brother was a master at making me feel guilty, but I was determined that it wasn't going to work this time. What I did wasn't even that bad! I told myself. I didn't really believe it, but I wasn't going to feel guilty, all the same.

"But I didn't even steal anything!" I protested. "How can I let you down when I didn't even steal anything?"

I wasn't bold enough to meet Alex's steely gaze. Instead, I studied my bedding. I studied it really intently. I knew if I looked at my brother, the expression I would see would break my heart. So looking at my duvet cover was by far the better option.

"Look at me, Carrie," Alex commanded in a deep voice I hadn't heard before.

When I didn't immediately comply, he grabbed my chin roughly and forced me to look at him. His touch wasn't gentle. He was letting me know, in no uncertain terms, that I was up shit creek completely, without a paddle.

"The only reason you didn't steal anything is because you got caught. You intended to steal, and that's what is important here. The fact that your plans got thwarted is besides the point. You tried to steal, Carrie. I won't stand for that."

Alex didn't really sound angry anymore, he sounded sad. Disappointed.

"You've stolen my phone," I pointed out.

Alex scoffed. "Actually, you willingly handed it over. Remember? I haven't stolen it, I've confiscated it for the duration of your grounding. You're being punished, Carrie."

I sighed. How was I going to live without my phone for two whole weeks? That was akin to torture!

"Can I go now then?" I asked, trying really hard to keep my voice even.

Alex shook his head. "No. We're not finished here."

"You grounded me, took my phone and credit card, and banned me from the mall for a month!" I reminded him, my voice the teensiest bit shrill. "What else is there to do to me? I can't even buy anything! What am I supposed to do if I need to buy something important?"

"You ask me or one of your other brothers to buy it for you," Alex told me in a duh tone, like I was completely daft. "All your needs will continue to be met, just as they are now."

I was silent. After a moment, Alex picked up one of my hands and squeezed it, capturing my attention. He looked at me seriously.

"But attempting to shoplift wasn't the worst thing you did today, Carrie. Leaving the school grounds without permission and security, put you in danger. There are tensions brewing with rival families, we're on the verge of a Mafia war, and it's very important that we know where you are at all times, so Paul and his team can keep you safe. You know this, Carrie. You know you can't go anywhere without security. It's as dangerous as breaking into the left wing, maybe even more so."

I gulped. Really? I was in danger?

"We have people to keep you safe," Alex assured me, seemingly reading my mind. "You have nothing to fear. But they can't keep you safe if they don't know where you are. You can not ever go out without security again, alright? I'm going to teach you that right now."

My stomach clenched in fear. The spanking Damon had given me for breaking into the left wing was by far the harshest punishment I'd ever received. And now, if I had to guess, I'd say Alex was planning to rival it. Or better it.

"But you already grounded me!" I reminded him, trying to get out of being spanked. "This is so not fair!"

"You're grounded for bunking school and shoplifting," Alex said. "I'm going to spank you for going off with no security."