Rocco In Charge - Part One

When I got up in the morning, Jack had already gone. It seemed strange, sitting up for breakfast without him, with only Logan to keep me company.

Little did I know, my strange morning was about to get even worse.

Just as I put the last mouthful of my fruit and yogurt into my mouth, all of my brothers came striding into the kitchen, looking serious. Logan and I both looked up because this was definitely unusual behavior, even for my brothers, who seemed to be prone to doing odd things.

"There's been an emergency come up," Damon said. "Alex, Nick and I have to fly out immediately, and we're not going to be home until late tomorrow."

I gasped. They were all going away and leaving me?

"No!" I cried. "No, you can't! Jack is already away, you can't all go away and leave me, too!"

Damon lifted me up off the stool and sat me on the counter so I was at eye level with him. "I don't have a choice, Carrie. I'm sorry. I know you're worried, but this is very important. If we don't go, people will die. And it's going to take all three of us. Rocco will take care of you."

I wrapped my arms around his neck and clung to him, and he picked me up and hugged me. I wrapped my legs around his waist, squeezing as tight as I could. No way. He was not leaving me. I was already struggling to stay calm without my Jacky being here.... But with all the big boys gone? I wasn't sure how I was going to cope.

"But what if I have a flashback, or a nightmare or a panic attack?" I asked, scared.

"Me and Rocco will get you through it, little sis," Logan said. "I promise. Besides, you haven't had one in ages. You'll be fine."

"You don't know that," I insisted. As much as I loved Logan and Rocco, they were a poor substitute for the security of all my brothers, and they couldn't calm me down like Jacky and Damon could.

"I know it," Alex said, stepping forward and rubbing my back gently. "I calmed you down when you were sick, remember? Logan and Rocco will be able to help you just fine."

Beside Logan, Rocco was scowling. "You're my little sister," he growled. "Are you saying I'm not capable of caring for my little sister?" He looked slightly offended, like I'd hurt his feelings by being worried about my brothers all leaving me for the first time.

"Maybe," I whispered.

"Well you're wrong," he insisted. "I can take care of you just fine. You'll see."

"He will," Nick said. "Because if he doesn't, you tell me when we get back and I'll beat him up." Nick winked and gave me a grin and I knew that even though his tone was playful, he was deadly serious in what he meant.

In spite of myself, I smiled. "I know, I'm just scared," I admitted. "Since I've been here, you've all been here with me. Nobody has been away from me hardly at all, and now everybody is going away at once."

Damon put me down and glanced at his watch.

"We really need to be leaving," he said. "Logan, Rocco is in charge. You listen to him, you hear me? There'll be hell to pay when I get back, if you don't. And take care of Carrie!"

Logan saluted in that smart-ass way of his that always made me smile, and Damon glared at him before shaking his head and smiling.

Nick was the first one to hug me goodbye, and he whispered in my ear to remember to tell him if Rocco didn't take good care of me before kissing my cheek.

Alex was next, and he hugged me softly, obviously still sore from fighting with Jack yesterday, and told me to rest my knee because I wanted to be all better for the pool party on the weekend. He kissed my other cheek and told me he loved me.