Freeing Rocco

Nick and Logan were still falling all over themselves laughing by the time I got back to Rocco's room, my scissors in hand. A little knot of nerves tightened themselves in my stomach. I wasn't sure that I wanted to do this. Sure, we'd made a deal, but he was pretty angry. What if he hurt me when I cut him free? What if he hurt Logan? Or Nick? After watching them fighting yesterday, I really wasn't keen to witness it again so soon.

My emotions must have been evident on my face, because Rocco reassured me. Either that or he can read my mind.

"Relax Carrie," he said. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"Do you promise?" I asked, and he nodded.

"Pinky promise?"

Logan and Nick snorted with laughter from behind us even more, and Rocco smirked. "Well that's a bit hard with this plastic shit wrapped everywhere, but I promise. Okay? I'm not going to hurt you."

"What about Logan?"

"I'm not going to hurt Logan. Much," he added.

I didn't really like the sound of that, but I figured it was fair enough. I was the one cutting him free, after all. Logan could have saved himself and made a deal to rescue Rocco but he was too busy laughing to think of it, so any justice Rocco meted out wasn't my problem.

"And Nick?" I questioned.

This time Rocco's grin nearly splits his face in half. "Nick's fair game."

I nod in agreement. I guess Nick is big and ugly enough to look after himself. When did you start thinking of Nick as ugly? my inner voice taunts, but I brush it away. That's old news, I remind myself. Now he feels like a normal brother. And he's ew.

Rocco freezes as I carefully slide the blade of the scissors between Rocco's bed sheets and the plastic wrap trapping him.

"Don't you dare cut me Carrie, those scissors are sharp!" He sounds a bit afraid and I giggle. It's amusing, being in a position of power over my grumpiest big brother and scaring him.

It doesn't take me long to cut him free because once the plastic is ripped enough for Rocco to get his hands free he tears the rest of it away and slides out of bed, breaking into a run immediately, chasing after my other brothers who both run, still laughing, from the room. They sound like a herd of elephants bolting down the stairs, and I cast a quick glance around the room at the mess, decide to leave it, and hurry after them. I'm not missing out on the fun!

Racing down the hallway, I slide down the banister as fast as I can, skidding along the floor below in my socks, and hurry after the voices. They're in the lounge, by the sounds of things, and all I can hear is laughing, a low growling, and a muffled "ow". Who did Rocco hit? Logan? Or Nick?

I'm about to run in there after them, but then there's a deep voice.

"What the hell is going on in here?"

"Jack!" I squeal excitedly, sprinting into the lounge towards my favourite brother. "Jacky! You're home!"

Logan, Nick and Rocco all stand there looking sheepish, but grinning. They're clearly as happy to see Jack as I am.

It's Jack! Standing right there in the flesh. He's home. A bit battered, his arm in a sling, but home.

I run up to him, wrapping my arms around him, clinging to him, breathing in the scent of him. He returns my hug, the not-slinged arm cuddling me tight. He bends down and kisses my hair.

"I've missed you sweetheart. I see you haven't been keeping your brothers under control." He fixes my brothers with a stern glare, but there's laughter dancing in his voice.

"Nobody can keep them under control!" I protest. "Don't blame that on me!" I look up at him and laugh, but I don't let him go. I'm not ready to let go of him yet. He's only just got here, after being shot and gone for so long, and now he's home and I'm so happy. I give him a squeeze as tight as I can.

"Ooof, gentle Carrie." He winces. "Come and sit down with me, aye? You can tell me all about what's being going on here in my absence."

So that's what we do. Me and Jack. For the next half hour he just sits with me, sometimes talking, sometimes just silent. But he's with me, and that's all that matters.

Although I know my other brothers want to see him too, to talk to him and catch up with everything, they know I need him more, and I'm so grateful to them that they give me that time with him. Rocco and Logan go and shower and Nick organizes breakfast for everyone.

All morning, I can't wipe my smile off my face. Jack is home!!

Now all I need is Damon and Alex to return, and all will be right in my world once again.

Authors note: There is only one chapter left of this book I think, maybe two at the most. Thank you so much to all the readers who have stuck beside me this entire time, it's been quite the journey! I've chatted to lots of people and made some lovely online friendships and that wouldn't have been possible without this story. I treasure you all so much :)

I honestly had no idea Carrie's story would end up being so long! Carrie and her brothers have been with me through some major life upheavals and a part of me is sad to see them go. Mostly, I think I will miss the community that has built up in the comments here. I'm hoping that my Patreon will fill that gap - especially when I write the sequel! To join my Patreon, there's a link on my bio page thing. As promised, the sequel will be available for free - paid members will get to see it first :)

If you'd like to help fuel my writing journey as I frantically try to hit a deadline with my other pen name, there's also a "buy me a coffee" link on my bio page too. (It's essentially a "tip" thing)

Again, thank you so much to all the awesome readers who have loved my story.