Scary Paul

"Uh-huh." Paul nods. "And where was that?"

I don't think I've ever been more terrified in my life than I am right now. The fact that Logan is scared, absolutely terrifies me. Obviously this isn't the first time I've been in trouble, but Paul is an unknown. I know what to expect from my brothers. I have no idea what to expect from Paul. If I break, how much trouble are we going to be in? Something tells me Logan is going to be in more trouble than me, but I don't even know that for sure. The scariest thing of all is I don't know how well Paul knows me. Does he know my triggers? Does he know what to do if I have a panic attack?

My stomach clenches in terror. Anxiety grips me hard, stealing my breath, making my lungs scream with lack of air. I can't do this. I can't answer him. I want to, but I'm frozen with fear. I can't make my voice work.

"I..." I squeak, but nothing else comes out.

Paul stares at me hard. His arms are still crossed against his chest, making him look huge and intimidating. He doesn't move. Just stares at us fiercely, first me, then Logan.

"The truth, Carrie." His voice is cold. He sounds far scarier than Damon. I guess he is, really. Damon might be the head of the Mafia, but Paul is the head of the security that protects the Mafia. He protects my family from the worst, most violent, criminal, dangerous people. I want to lie to him just like Logan did, but I'm not brave enough. But I'm not brave enough to tell him the truth, either. I can't speak at all.

My heart races, the blood pounding in my ears. I still can't breathe. The knot of terror in my stomach tightens unbearably tight, pulling even tighter with every second that passes. I'm about to pass out from fear.

Fortunately, Paul must notice because he turns his attention back to Logan. He steps forward, right up close to him, and gets right in his face.

"Where were you?" he yells, and it's an actual yell. Not just a slightly raised voice, but a full-on yell. If Damon was here, he'd have a conniption over it.

"Right here," Logan insists. I don't know how he's doing it - Paul is towering over him, but bending so his face is level with Logan's, and he's terrifying. He's right there. So close.

Paul growls. At least I think it's a growl. It's a weird growly, snarly, hissing sound that nearly makes me crap myself.

"Don't you fucking lie to me!" he yells. "Alex and Damon are still reprimanding your useless brothers and so far, they don't know that you were spying. But they will, if you don't come clean. You have three seconds."

Useless brothers? Protective fury rises up in me, overriding my anxiety. Rocco and Nick aren't useless! But again, I'm too terrified to speak. I don't like this side of Paul. I don't like him exerting his power. He scares the shit out of me, and we're completely at his mercy.

I know that if Damon finds out the truth, he will be furious. But will his wrath be any worse than facing Paul? I'm not sure it will be - I know what Damon will do. I know what to expect. I have no idea what Paul will do. Maybe he will be more lenient. Maybe he will be worse.

My head is spinning. I didn't know how much I appreciated Damon's no yelling rule until Paul just broke it now. I don't like it.

"One." Paul glares at Logan first, then me. He takes a small step back so he's no longer so close to Logan, but it means he can stare at me, too.

"Two. Remember how furious Damon and Alex are," he says. "They've already got enough to deal with, first with this Mafia war, Jack being shot, and now Nick and Rocco being absolute fucking dicks. Do you really think they need this as well? Sorting out their two youngest siblings? They should be able to trust you to do what you should be doing. They're going to be so disappointed in you."

Paul's glare intensifies as both Logan and I remain silent. I want to speak, but I also can't. I don't want to let Logan down. I know that he's going to be in so much trouble, even more than me, and I'm going to be in trouble enough. I think back to the spanking I got when I broke into the left wing with my friends. This isn't as bad as that, obviously, but it's still bad. Is it a grandfather's strap-worthy offense?

Paul takes another step back, then shakes his head. "Well you've left me with no choice. I'm disappointed you didn't have the guts to admit to where you were. I already know you were eavesdropping, I heard you. I'm going to go and get Nick to check the cameras, then I'm going to update Damon. I'm sure he's going to be less than thrilled to have one more thing to deal with." Disapproval drips from Paul's voice and a wave of shame washes over me. I know how stressed Damon and Alex already are, and know we're adding to it.

"Please don't tell him," I beg, suddenly finding my voice. I'm still terrified, but now that Paul isn't so close, and he's no longer yelling, I've got a handle on my fear. "It's not fair on him to tell him this when he's already got so much to deal with. He's already got a Mafia to lead and a war to win, he'll be worrying about Jack, and Rocco and Nick. Please don't tell him." I'm afraid for myself, and my butt, but I'm also wanting to protect Damon from more stress. The last thing he needs is to know about me and Logan.

"That's your choice, Carrie," Paul says sternly. "You had the chance to tell me where you were and you chose not to."

I don't want Damon to know. I don't want to stress him out any further. And I want to protect Logan. He's not going to cave, he's proven that. But once Paul checks the cameras he's going to see where we were anyway, and then we're going to be up shit creek without a paddle. With everything in me, I know it's best for all of us if I come clean now.

"We were under the stairs," I blurt out quickly, before I lose my nerve.

Author's note: Reminder: For exclusive stories and more, join my Patreon! There's a link in my bio. Also, if you'd like to say thanks for this story, or support my writing, there's a link to "buy me a coffee" on my bio, too. I'm fuelled by coffee :)  But also, very important: there's absolutely no obligation to do either of these things, I'm just asked frequently by people how they can support me because they love this story. Comments are great to encourage me, too. Please don't feel like donating is something you *have* to do to keep this story going - it's not. Thanks for reading, and for loving this story so far!