Too Much

I wanted to be quiet, I really did. But the past couple of days had just been too much for me, and I missed Jack. I wasn't used to not having him beside me at the dinner table. This was the first time I'd ever sat at the table and ate a meal with my brothers, without Jack at his usual spot next to me. It just felt wrong. Too wrong.

I threw my fork down in anger. "No! It's not enough!" I shouted at Damon, my voice rising an octave. Logan put his hand over my mouth in an attempt to silence me, but all that did was anger me further. I pushed his hand away furiously and shot to my feet, knocking my chair over in the process.

"It's not fair! The double standards in this house are terrible! You're sexist, all of you! You treat me like I'm stupid and useless and I'm not! Nick got all mad at me for having a boyfriend which I don't even have and–"

"Stop." Damon attempted to cut me off but I wasn't done.

"And Rocco won't teach me to kickbox purely because I'm a girl and–"

Before I knew what was happening, Damon had rounded the table and now he stood directly in front of me, his eyes blazing with fury. I gulped.

"You're lucky I'm too tired to deal with you right now, little girl." His voice was deep, stern. A shiver went down my spine. I could feel everyone's eyes on me as Damon effortlessly put me back in my place and I absolutely hated it. I hated being treated like a child, a useless little baby who couldn't do anything.

"I am not a little girl," I whispered furiously, the only protest I was brave enough to utter.

It was a mistake.

Damon balanced his foot on the leg of my tipped-over chair and dragged me up and over his thigh. He whacked my butt so hard that the loud crack echoed like a gunshot around the room and pain overrode my fury as I screamed.

"Are you done? Or do you need another one?" There was an unmistakable warning tone in his voice, and I heeded it.

"I'm done," I whimpered. "Sorry."

Damon lowered me to the floor but kept hold of my upper arm, giving me a gentle shake to make me look at him.

"Now you may either sit back up at the table and finish your dinner, or you may be excused to your room. What's it to be?"

I didn't want to face my brothers right now, and I didn't want to sit on my burning butt, so I said quietly, "I want to go to my room."

"That's fine," Damon said, letting go of my arm. "I'll be up later to have a chat."

I turned on my heel and ran, taking the stairs two at a time. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. My face was burning with embarrassment. Being scolded in front of my brothers was bad enough, but by putting me over his knee and slapping my butt, Damon had stolen the tiniest shred of dignity that I'd had left. I knew it was taking all of Logan's self-control not to mock me and laugh.

I threw myself down on my bed and cried tears of frustration into my pillow, my teddy squished tightly in my arms.

After a while, I knew what I wanted: I needed to see my friends.

I texted Kate, who lived only a ten minute walk from me, asking if I could come round, and she said I could. So, as silently as I could, I crept downstairs and out the front door, unheard and unseen by my brothers who were still caught up in animated discussion at the dining table.

I walked around the side of the house, intending to go out the small side gate, rather than walking down the driveway. But before I could reach it, a scary voice ordered me to freeze, and a bright flashlight shone in my face.

"Carrie! What are you doing?"

Shit. It was Paul.

"I'm off to visit my friend Kate," I told him. "She's expecting me." I fought to keep the quaver out of my voice, but I don't know whether or not I succeeded. Paul knew something was it. I never wander around outside at this time of night.

"And your brothers are aware of that, are they?" Paul asked.

"Of course," I lied.

"You won't object to me making a quick call to check, then?"

"That won't be necessary," I informed him, sounding as professional as I could. After all, I'm a Bogiatto. Paul is employed by my family. That makes me his boss, right?

"I disagree," Paul said, moving to block my exit with his body.

I watched as he touched a button on his lapel and I turned to begging, instead. No way did I want Damon catching me out here. My butt was still burning from his ferociously hard slap.

"Please don't," I begged. "They don't want me there, Damon said he's too tired to deal with me. I just cause problems. My brothers are sexist, Paul. They won't let me do anything, just because I'm a girl. Please just let me go to Kate's. Let me visit my friend."

Paul didn't say anything for a moment, he just stood there and looked at me, as though he was considering what to say.

"Those brothers of yours worship the ground you walk on, little miss."

"And how do you know that?" I was doubtful. It certainly didn't sound like they worshiped anything to do with me, just before. It felt like they just wanted to control me.

"I've worked for your family a long time, Miss Carrie. I saw how broken they were when your mother took you away, and I saw how excited they were when Damon found you. I know they never stopped looking for you, not once. And I've seen how happy all six of them are to have you home."

Paul stepped forward and put his hand on my shoulder. "If they're short with you tonight, it's just because they're tired. Very tired. It's been a very difficult couple of days for them, and they're exhausted. What your brothers have been through is enough to test anyone's patience. Try to give them a little bit of grace."

"Why should I?"

"Because we do the same for you." A voice from behind me made me jump and I squeaked in fright.

"Nick! You scared me!"

"Sorry. But it's time to come inside now, little sis."

I shook my head and backed away, instinctively moving closer to Paul, for protection.

"Nuh-uh. Damon's going to kill me."

"No he's not, he heard everything you said and Paul's right, he's just tired. Look, I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions about Frankie and upsetting you. You and Logan have so many friends between you I forget who is who. Forgive me?"

Nick looked so ridiculous with his attempt at puppy-dog eyes that I couldn't help but laugh.

"Only if you teach me how to kickbox," I said.

"Sure. So come on then, come back inside. You need to let your friend know you're not coming for a visit after all."

I pouted. "Are you sure I can't go just for a little while?"

Nick shook his head. "It's a school night, Carrie. Besides, you've invited her to the pool party, haven't you? And you'll see her at school tomorrow? Tonight is just for us, sis. Come on."

And with that, Nick took my hand and led me back inside.