05 | the introduction

Xael Wright

Xael Wright

I thought that I could make the first move but he beat me to it. For the past few days, whenever I went on a run in the morning, he waved at me. Till now we haven't spoken to each other, but I can say that we are maybe familiar with each other. I think I should at least ask him his name and maybe become his friend.

At the time in high school, I had a few crushes on guys. But I think this time, it was something deep. And maybe even worth it. 

I was a person who believed that what a man could do a woman could also do. So when he made the first move, I was kind of frustrated. So this time I would be the one who will say hi in words first.

As I arose this morning, completed my morning routine, and got ready for the day, I was determined to accomplish something today.

 I walked into my favourite coffee shop named Vira. They practically sold the best drinks in the two-mile radius. They just had three branches but each was very successful. People would build queues for the special chocolate shake they make every day.

As I walked in, I already saw the queue made by many college students for their daily caffeine. Today I selected lychee bubble tea to go. Cleo was nagging me to try this for the past few days so I thought why not. 

I paid for my order and was about to walk out, just then I saw him. Our eyes connected, his green eyes to my grey eyes. I snapped out of this trance and went to wait outside. He also came outside and stood beside me.

To break this weird thing we have, I decided to do something.

"Hi," I told him with a small smile.

He looked at me with a nervous smile and spoke, "Hello".

We were practically strangers, but they were stolen glances between us for the past three years. Those few seconds of eye contact made us familiar with each other.

"I know this sounds weird, but can I know your name?" I asked him.

"I'm Orion Warner, how about you?"

"I'm Xael Wright. It is nice to meet you after a long time." I think he knew what I was saying.

For the next few minutes, we were just smiling at each other, being in our world. He cleared his throat and said, "I'm running late for class. So can we meet for coffee in the evening at the same place at 5:30 pm?" He was looking nervous and was scratching the back of his neck.

"Sure, anyway, even I have to go. It feels amazing to finally meet you. I will meet you at 5:30 pm". With that, I walked into my class with a huge grin and a slight blush on my face.

✈︎

The entire time I was waiting for my classes to get over. When I went to eat lunch with Cleo, I didn't know I would be questioned by the FBI. I should have braced myself for what was to come.

"So... care to tell your best friend why you are acting like a crazy person?" Cleo asked.

I knew that I could not keep anything from her. She was my best friend from when we were 11. I remember the day I met her. It was the first day of fifth grade when Cleo came and sat next to me during the lunch break. The next few days, we slowly started talking and soon became the best of friends.

"I told him hi today," I mumbled.

"You what? So what happened and why are you mumbling?" Cleo started yelling which I bet that the whole cafeteria heard us.

"When I went to buy the lychee bubble tea you recommended, I saw him also come to the Vira. After getting his drink also, he came and that is when it happened," I explained to her.

"Wow. Finally, you got the guts. I was dying of hearing you talk about him almost every day," Cleo told truthfully.

"I also got his name and he told me to meet him at Vira at 5:30 pm," I told her.

"You got his name also! I think I should mark this day on my calendar. It is not every day when Xael goes with someone for coffee," she said playfully.

"Haha, very funny. To answer the next question that is about to come, his name is Orion. Orion Warner."

"Damn it, you know me too well. Anyway, after your class, you are coming back to the dorm and changing your outfit."

Looking down at my black hoodie and sweatpants, it made sense that she told me to change. After finishing our food, which consisted of a burger and fries, we went back to our classes. It was half-past three when my class got over. I was pretty excited to meet Orion. My curiosity wanted to know more about him.

✈︎

Walking into my dorm, I saw Cleo sitting on her bed texting someone who no doubt was Xion. There were three outfits spread next to her. A black shirt with a leather jacket and torn jeans. A green hoodie with jeans and finally a dark blue sundress with polka dots.

Just when I closed the door, she looked up and told me to freshen up. I finished getting ready when I chose the third outfit on the bed. I changed into it, put on some perfume and accessories and slipped on black and white Air Jordan 1. With my phone, car keys, and wallet in hand, I left the dorm.

I wondered if Orion was as nervous as me. Will this change something?
--------------------

Orion and Xael have met and exchanged greetings.

What do you think will happen now?

𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐞.