09 | friends meet

Xael Wright

Xael Wright

These past few weeks, Orion and I had been texting. We became great friends, we would meet in the morning for coffee in Vira. Then in the evening, we would try to carpool to the gym if we're going on the same day.

Cleo and I came to one of the campus restaurants today. Xion also wanted to come but he had a project to complete. 

The restaurant was nothing fancy, it was a place that gave cosy vibes. We heard from many people on the campus that their food and ambience was very good. So when I came here today, I got to know what the big deal was. Every corner was adorned with different kinds of flowers and each table had seats of different types. Most of the walls were textured with brick.

When we both saw the menu, it was filled with dishes from multiple cuisines. I looked at Cleo and saw that she was having a hard time ordering something.

"I'm ordering the loaded nachos and a bean burrito. How about you?"

Cleo immediately groaned. "Xael there are so many options here, I'm going insane trying to pick something."

"Should I order something for you then?"

Her face relaxed the second I said that. "Yeah."

When I called one of the waiters to order, I saw that it was a girl named Amber with whom I share a class. I could say that she was a friend, we hung out together a few times to do our homework. "Hey guys, can I take your order?"

"Can I get loaded nachos, a bean burrito and a veg burger with fries?" I asked her. I looked onto Cleo for confirmation and she just nodded her head continuing to scroll through her phone.

Amber immediately wrote down what I said and asked, "Anything else?"

I just gave her a small smile. "Nothing, thank you." With that, Amber went towards the counter.

The moment she was gone, Cleo pointed towards the entrance. "Isn't that Orion?"

I turned my head to see Orion and two guys with him. I think he also saw me and gave me a small wave. The three of them walked towards our table. Cleo also was looking at them.

Orion was the first one to break the silence. "Hey, Xael didn't expect to see you here."

"We just came here for lunch. How about you?" Everyone was still looking at each other. I knew I had to do something.

"We also came here for lunch." Just then an amazing idea popped into my mind.

"Why don't you guys join us?" I looked towards Cleo and she just gave me a thumbs up.

Orion asked in confusion, "Are you sure?"

"Yes."

We called one of the waiters to ask if we could join the tables and they said it was fine. After it was done, we were all sitting next to each other and there was an awkward silence among us. I knew introductions were to be done. So I started. "I'm Xael." And it started.

"I'm Cleo. Xael's best friend." Cleo was the kind of girl who could wear pyjamas and still rock them. She was mixed. She had beautiful tanned skin that she got from her mother and alluring green eyes which she got from her father. She had straight light brown hair which was a mix of both her parents.

"I'm Sven. Orion's best friend." The guy who introduced himself had Asian features on him, his hair had a messy look that spread on his forehead. He had beautiful brown eyes. He was around six feet, just a few inches shorter than Orion. He had a warm smile on his face and on top of that, he had dimples. His body was toned but not built. I could say that this guy had an amazing fashion sense by looking at his dark blue hoodie and white pants.

"I'm Leander. Orion's elder brother." He had features that were similar to Orion's. Instead of green eyes, he had brown eyes. He was the same height as Orion. When Orion told me that his brother was a quarterback back in high school and wanted to become a doctor, I was shocked. It showed he played with his lean and muscular body.

And in the end, he said. "I'm Orion and I think all you know me." With that everyone laughed.

The boys ordered their food and we all got it at the same time. We spent the time talking about college, shows we watch and many more. A lot of secrets were spilt.

I got to know Orion's best friend was bisexual and was texting and meeting with a guy. A very interesting fact that I got to know was that Orion was a huge bookworm. Cleo, as everyone was sharing secrets, revealed to everyone she has a crush on Xion, and everyone encouraged her to make a move. Leander said that he wanted to be single till med school was over.

When the check came, we decided to split it which was the best option instead of breaking our heads on who would pay. We finally walked out of the restaurant and went to our respective cars. I wish Xion had been here, he would have had a great time. 

✈︎

When we came back to the dorm, I changed into comfortable clothes and opened my phone to call my eldest brother, Zach. While Cleo went to call Xion and probably fill him in on things. She was very close with Xion and I would often find them having deep conversations with him.

My elder brother Zach was a very busy man. He was a pilot and had a busy schedule. In the family group chat, I got to know that he was free today and was probably taking a rest. So I FaceTime him and three to four rings and he picks up and I see him lounging on the couch

"Hey, Kale," Zach said

"Why do you still use that nickname?" I groaned.

"You know that I would never change that nickname even when you become old."

When I was young, Zach gave me the nickname Kale as it rhymed with Xael and till now he hadn't stopped calling me that. Each time I get the same response when I ask the same question.

"So what's up?" I asked.

"I met someone," he said in a whisper.

"What?" I think I yelled because Cleo also turned her head towards me and I think even Xion asked why I yelled.

"Sorry," I said to both of them.

"So you met someone?" And this time I said it in a much lower voice.

"Yep. In a cafe. We were waiting for our food and even exchanged numbers." I knew my brother was bisexual back in high school. The fact that he met someone surprised me because he was always busy with work.

 Eventually, we had to cut our call as I was hungry and Zach had to go. When I looked over, I saw Cleo that had finished her call and was doing her homework.
------------------

I have introduced some new characters. Leander and Zach.

What do you think of them?

𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐞.