10 | the appointment

Orion Warner 

Orion Warner 

When I went for lunch with Leander and Sven to the newly opened restaurant, I did not expect to bump into Xael and her friend Cleo there. We ended up joining them and I had a great time. Within a few minutes of introducing ourselves, we became a group who had been friends for a long period.

I usually felt anxious when I was among a group of people but when I was in the restaurant, I was calm and not anxious. It was like I was finally coming out of my shell.

Every two weeks, I would have an appointment with the therapist, Dr Brown. He worked in the same hospital as my parents and was a close friend of theirs. Today was the day I would have to go. I knew that if I got to the hospital, I would also end up saying hi to my parents.

Both my parents were surgeons. My mother Dr Anastasia Warner was a general surgeon and my father, Dr Lanier Warner was a paediatric surgeon. Both of them were great at what they did. I had decided that I wanted to be different by pursuing law instead of medicine like my brother. At the end of the day, both my parents supported me.

Getting into my car, I drove towards the hospital which was forty-five minutes from Harmonia. Instead of playing a pop playlist, I went for a deep focus playlist. Those tunes could make you feel calm in seconds.

I parked my car in the parking lot and walked towards the office of Dr Brown. When I was on my way, I waved to many of the staff since they saw me here from when I was young. I finally found his office and knocked and went in when I heard a 'come in.'

Dr Brown's office always gave a homey vibe. The walls were painted white, there was a comfortable grey plush sofa and beautiful pictures of nature were hung on the wall. Opposite the sofa, there was an accent chair where Dr Brown sat with his iPad.The drill was for me to sit comfortably on the sofa and we would start for the day.

Dr Brown opens his iPad and opens a new sheet for this session and sets a timer of one hour. "So Orion, how are you doing?"

"Good Dr Brown. How are you?" I always exchanged pleasantries with Dr Brown before diving into the questions. Over the years, it had become a habit.

"Splendid. So what has happened since our last session?"

"So as I told you, I met a girl named Xael. We both run on the same path in the morning. We even go to the same gym. This has been happening for the past three years since freshman year. Finally, a few weeks ago we initiated a conversation with each other. That day, we even went for coffee in the campus cafe and went for a walk after that. I even met her friend Cleo when I went for lunch with Leander and Sven. Even after meeting a group of people, I did not feel an attack coming."

"Very good Orion. It looks like you are making progress. Now, why do you think you did not feel an attack incoming?" Dr Brown asked while typing some points in his notes.

"I think I felt safe and did not have the fear of being judged when I was with them." I felt like I was having hope in myself.

"Well done. You have analysed the situation. Are you still maintaining a journal about your emotions and feelings?"