06 | the café

Orion Warner

Orion Warner

There was one thing that made me want to curse in the morning. It was Sven's ringtone. It was so annoying that there were times when I wanted to throw his phone at the wall. 

Every chance I got, I would request, plead and beg him to change it but he didn't do it. He thought it was uproarious to see his best friend want to pull his hair out.

So today also when I woke up, this infuriating ringtone was blasting in the room. In an instant, I grabbed the phone from the desk and threw it at Sven. As soon as I did that, he woke up in an instant but was groaning. When he saw the caller ID, there was a smile so bright on his face.

I knew that it was the guy he was texting, but he did not even bother telling the guy's name. He just told me that they went on a date the previous week and that the guy was older than him. While this intrigued me, I knew he would eventually tell me.

I finished my morning routine which consisted of my run, listening to a podcast episode, showering and getting ready and then going for classes. Today I tried to change my usual style of sweatshirts and pants and white sneakers to a green button-up, khaki pants and black sneakers. When I looked into the mirror, I was a whole new person.

At Harmonia, the beach wasn't far, it was just around twenty miles from the campus. I didn't exactly run to the beach every day but at least till a midpoint, I ran. It was kind of a dream come true that I got accepted here. 

We had an amazing campus coffee shop named Vira, people who came here on campus tours had to at least try their drinks once. Today my order was very simple, it was a simple chocolate smoothie.

When I went to pay for my drink, I saw the girl who finished paying for her drink and went to stand outside. Our eyes connected, her beautiful grey eyes to my green eyes. I followed her outside and for the next few minutes, we were just staring at each other with small smiles.

"Hi," she said with a small smile. 

"Hello," I returned her greeting with a nervous smile.

Out of the blue she asked, "I know it sounds weird but can I know your name?"

I introduced myself, "I'm Orion Warner, how about you?"

She immediately answered, "I'm Xael Wright. It is nice to meet you after a long time."

I knew what she meant, with our stolen glances, we knew each other for almost three years. I wanted to blurt out that her name was beautiful but I didn't think it was appropriate to do at the first meeting. 

It seemed like a long time before one of us made a move. It was kind of becoming awkward so while scratching the back of my neck, I asked Xael, "I'm running late for class. So can we meet for coffee in the evening at the same place at 5:30 pm?"

It was like the boldest thing that I had ever done in my life by asking her for coffee. I knew it would not be a date so soon but it meant something. She immediately replied, "Sure, even I have to go. It feels amazing to meet you. I will meet you at 5:30 pm"

With that, she walked away. The whole day, I was the happiest person ever.

✈︎

After completing my classes, I immediately went to change. I looked around to see if Sven was there but he wasn't. I wanted to tell him so I quickly texted him.

Orion: I'm so happy! I finally talked to the girl and asked her for coffee

Sven: Whoa. When did this happen?

Orion: Today when I went to Vira. She even told me her name. It is Xael.

Sven: Why is that the day my best friend does something, I'm still stuck in the library?

Orion: It's fine. Anyway, I have to get ready, so I will speak with you when I come back. Bye

Sven: Bye.

Placing my phone down, I shuffled through my clothes to find my white button-up shirt. I did not want to change anything else so I changed my shirt and socks only. To smell even better, I applied some cologne which smelled like coffee. Grabbing my phone, keys and wallet, I walked out the door with confidence.

✈︎

I walked outside the dorm building to see my black Mercedes-Benz CLA 200. This car was one I wanted from when I was in high school. My parents had gotten me this car for my 18th birthday.

 Though I did not use it in the mornings, I used it to go to the gym and drives with Sven. We would blast music and sing along while driving. It was like the weekend bonding that we did.

As soon as the car was turned on, it roared to life. Putting one hand on the steering wheel and turning back, I drove out of the dorm parking lot and started driving to Vira. It was a short drive so I could not play any music.

After parking my car, I took my things and walked into Vira. Checking my watch, I saw that the time was exactly 5:30 pm. Just then Xael also walked in. I was seated at a corner table. I gave her a small wave and she came to the table.

I was going to have coffee with the girl I had a crush on.
------------------

So this is Orion's POV on when they met and got ready for coffee with Xael.

In the coming chapters, more of Cleo, Xion and Sven will come. Maybe even the guy Sven is texting.

𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐞.