13 | the game night

Xael Wright

Xael Wright

It had been a few weeks since Orion had come to my dorm. The morning after it, we did not acknowledge the situation much, I just dropped him back at B Hall. It seemed as though my crush for him was growing, but after that day, it had skyrocketed. 

Today was Halloween. The gang - Cleo, Xion, Sven, Orion, and I - gathered at mine and Cleo's dorms for a game night since all of us didn't want to dress up for campus parties. Each one of us had to get one type of food whether it be chips or drinks. We decided to stay sober as most of us had early morning classes the next day.

Our dorm was not exactly too big nor too small, it was just the perfect size. Cleo and I were lucky to get to this dorm after a lot of competition from the other girls in this hall.

Looking around, I saw almost everyone was present except Xion. It was 6 PM and he still hadn't come. I took out my phone and texted him but got no reply. Just when I spoke of the devil, he arrived. "I'm so sorry, I hadn't realized the time." After removing his shoes, he kept a box of what looked like brownies on the food table and walked towards Cleo and kissed her on the cheek.

It looked like I was the only one who noticed when he did this so I ignored it and reminded myself to ask them about it later. Shaking my head, I just said, "Please don't be late next time, I will start without you." 

I was just about to tell them about the games Cleo and I thought about but Cleo beat me to it. "So the plan is that we have around three to four games that we thought we could try, what do you want to try first?" 

When I looked at Orion and Sven, I saw that something was wrong with Orion because he was very quiet. I could not tell what it was so I made a mental note to ask him why. Whereas Orion' best friend Sven, who had recently become my friend, was looking as lively as ever. 

Since none of us speak up, Sven took the opportunity to speak. "What all have you thought about?" 

"Monopoly, Uno, Truth or Dare and Pictionary." 

You could say that I was excited about today with the high pitch in my voice. Game nights were a staple tradition in the Wright household, it was the day where my entire family sat together and played games on a Saturday night. These days, game night has changed from every week to every month due to college and Zach's hectic schedule. 

After thinking for a few seconds, Sven said, "Let's start with a Pictionary. We can play boys vs girls."

Xion looked at Sven as if he just won a Nobel prize. "Dude, that's an amazing idea. We can crush Cleo and Xael." Cleo looked at him with a dramatic expression by keeping her hand on her heart and I just raised my eyebrows.

Finally, a laugh comes from Orion. It seemed like the silent one was not as silent as before. With a smirk on his face, Orion said, "Can we beat them?"

"Dude you are supposed to be on our side." Xion instantly stood up and walked towards Orion.